Author Topic: Looking for any bastardy records that might help with parentage of children  (Read 799 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Looking for any bastardy records that might help with parentage of children
« on: Saturday 02 January 21 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My ancestor John Linley was born in Thorp Arch, Yorkshire, in 1851, and christened at the parish church in 1852, the son of Mary Ann Linley. She had a number of other children out of wedlock, those being:

George Linley, christened 1842, Thorp Arch
Emily Linley christened 1845, Thorp Arch

If anyone could help, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any bastardy records that might help with parentage of children
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 January 21 18:38 GMT (UK) »
You might know this, already.

West Yorkshire Achive Service hold two Register's of Illegitimate Children and one of Bastardy Orders. Covering 1834 to 1940.

The Records are not Online, but the References can be viewed via a Catalogue Search.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 January 21 18:48 GMT (UK) »
I didn’t know; thanks for that! I’ll take a look now.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 January 21 19:43 GMT (UK) »
I have the same problem.

My Great Grandmother Elizabeth Bamford was born to Alice Bamford (Whitworth) on 29th January 1839 in Rochdale and baptised at St Chad Parish Church on 9th June 1839.  Alice’s husband Richard Bamford died in 1835 – Ooops !!!

Can anybody help ?

Apologies for butting into your post MacGrigor, I have been trying for over five years to identify the father of Elizabeth.

Tina.

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 January 21 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I didn't realise this, but the West Yorkshire Bastardy Record's, I mentioned in My previous Post, are also available to view on Ancestry.co.uk.
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 January 21 19:03 GMT (UK) »
As Sandblown has already mentioned any orders taken out by an unmarried mother or by the Poor Law Guardians of a Parish are usually held in the local Archives -- you would need to search on the mother's name - not the child's name.

The child is often referred to as simply a bastard child. These orders can be known as Affiliation orders.

If the reputed father is already financially supporting the mother - there would be no need for such an order.

If an order cannot be found - it may be listed in Quarter Sessions records instead.
I must cnfess I am not sure where Rochdale records might be kept -- should be Lancashire of course BUT many records are held at Manchester.

There is also Touchstones - the local studies dept in Rochdale itself.

http://rochdale.gov.uk/library-services/local-libraries/Pages/local-studies-library.aspx

They may be able to tell you where these records might be held (if you haven't already asked them of course).
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 January 21 22:17 GMT (UK) »
TinaRoyal.

A Catalogue Search of the Lancashire Record Office (Preston) for Rochdale Bastardy Record's, show They have Holdings, but appear to only cover the 1700's.

Pennines Advice, as to alternative means of seeking help, might be more pertinent.

I sympathize with Your 'Brick Wall' frustration.
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 21 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pennines for suggesting “Touchstones”.  I will contact them and ask if they have, or know where to find Bastardy Records for Rochdale in 1839.

I list below organisations I have contacted in my attempt to find the answer.  Unfortunately no-one could help me find any records for Elizabeth Bamford in 1839.  The reason I do this is to point any other RootsChatters who may be looking for similar records in the Rochdale area in a direction whereby they might be able to find an answer.

I contacted the Secretary of the Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society, Rochdale Branch.  I wrote to the Lancashire Record Office in Preston.  I contacted the Manchester Central Library to see if they could help.   I contacted St. Chad Parish Church in Rochdale where Elizabeth was Baptised and asked if they had anything in the “Parish Chest”.  I looked up the Petty Session and Quarter Session Records.  I contacted Manchester Archive and Local Studies.

As Pennines said, the parents might have come to a private agreement.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 January 21 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Well Tina -- you have certainly tried your best!! Well done on your tenacity with this.

I hope Touchstones can help.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.