Author Topic: Why wait 37 years to finalise a will?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Why wait 37 years to finalise a will?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 January 21 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Maybe the wife ( or someone else) had lifetime residency and use of the property so lived for another 37yr before she died then the heirs to the Will inherited and could sell the property .... so any outstanding debts could then be found/paid
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 January 21 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Arthur and Alan. That is progress.

I could not, and still cannot, find Mary Jane O'Brien or Black's probate on FindMyPast but thanks to you I have found the original on the government Find a Will web site.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 January 21 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Arthur and Alan. That is progress.

I could not, and still cannot, find Mary Jane O'Brien or Black's probate on FindMyPast but thanks to you I have found the original on the government Find a Will web site.

It is there on FindMyPast, Mary Jane BLACK died 1923, probate date 1924. Unlike in Scotland you won't find her in the England & Wales Probate index with any mention of her maiden name.
On the upside her will and grant of probate from the Govt wills site is  £1 cheaper than the Scottish probate records on Scotlands People :)

Boo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 January 21 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks, Boo, I got it from the gov.uk web site - no idea why it's missing from the FindMyPast index.

I suspect that her husband's will might be more useful to me, but of course I'll need to wait a bit until I can get at that.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 January 21 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Boo.

I now see why I couldn't find her on FindMyPast. Naïvely, I had ticked the box for 'Wills and Probate', because I thought that that was what I needed to do to find her probate. I see now that I should have ticked 'Civil Deaths and Burials' even though I was actually looking for her probate, not for her death or burial. ???

FindMyPast still produces the same non-result if I search for Mary Black, death date 1923 plus or minus 2 years, "Wills and Probate". It does, as you say, find her probate if I untick "Wills and Probate" and tick "Civil Deaths and Burials".

So for future reference I shall know that if I want to find a will or probate record, I must at all costs avoid ticking the box that says "Wills and Probate" :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 January 21 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I may be wrong but I think the Wills and Probate records on FindMyPast are primarily pre 1858 and, in a lot of cases, will have images.

The England & Wales Probate Calendars that Mary Jane Black appears on are all post 1858 (and none of those Wills/ Grants are online as images -  anywhere).
For many years the Calendars included a date of death which is, I assume, why FindMyPast call the database England & Wales Government Probate Death Index though the images are of the Probate Calendars.

So don't discount the Wills and Probate databases, if you need to find one pre 1858 they are very useful.

Boo

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 January 21 17:10 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that her husband's will might be more useful to me, but of course I'll need to wait a bit until I can get at that.

Joseph's will is indexed on the government site too. I searched for Black in 1887, and it's on page 2 of 12.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 January 21 18:17 GMT (UK) »
So don't discount the Wills and Probate databases, if you need to find one pre 1858 they are very useful.
Noted.

As I said, it was entirely my own fault for naïvely imagining that to find a probate record I needed to search in 'Wills and Probate'.