Author Topic: Timpey He(a)ydock b1888 Bedminster Somerset. Strange head gear? 1890's  (Read 455 times)

Offline BamptonHatherleigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Timpey He(a)ydock b1888 Bedminster Somerset. Strange head gear? 1890's
« on: Sunday 03 January 21 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Good morning all and Happy New year to you Family history gurus. The chubby girl sitting on the knee on the far right is my grandmother born 1888 Bedminster Somerset. 1891 census they were in Bedminster and 1901 Bristol. They spent all their lives in that area. The photo says on the back auntie ... and either for mother or possibly for Martha who was an aunt. We dont know which one is the auntie as we dont know which side of her family. I am amused by the mad cat lady (every family should have one) who is an obvious animal lover.   What interests me is the white head gear of the girl at the back. Has anyone seen anything like this before? It doesnt look like a fashion statement? TIA as always .
Snell Chulmleigh,Hatherleigh,Bampton/Devon,Middlesex London.
Bell Nottingham, Clevedon, London, Cumberland
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Timpey He(a)ydock b1888 Bedminster Somerset. Strange head gear? 1890's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 21 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I'd suggest that the date of the photo is c.1930, if only by the ladies' attire (short skirt!) and hairstyle.
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 January 21 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I know nothing of religious ceremonies, but,  could the strange headgear of the young girl to the right be something like a Communion outfit which would suggest the one at the back could be wearing a Nun or Novice's hat?
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 January 21 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I'd suggest that the date of the photo is c.1930, if only by the ladies' attire (short skirt!) and hairstyle.
That is of course an excellent point though I really dont think it is that late. Now I am really confused because we were sure that was Timpey but she cant be more than 8 or 10 in that picture? so if its not late 1890's then it cant be her.
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 January 21 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I know nothing of religious ceremonies, but,  could the strange headgear of the young girl to the right be something like a Communion outfit which would suggest the one at the back could be wearing a Nun or Novice's hat?
cheers, Ian

nor me either! though I confess something like that passed though my mind.
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 January 21 14:02 GMT (UK) »
That is of course an excellent point though I really dont think it is that late. Now I am really confused because we were sure that was Timpey but she cant be more than 8 or 10 in that picture? so if its not late 1890's then it cant be her.

It's certainly no earlier than the late 1920s, but I too think it is 1930s
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 January 21 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! SO It seems perhaps the aunts referred to are my fathers not his mothers!. That could mean the chubby little girls could be my aunt Kathleen Heydock b 1920 so that would fit with her physical resemblance to her mother and the dates. Thank you that is a good start in terms of now searching for the weird headgear in a different era!
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 January 21 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! SO It seems perhaps the aunts referred to are my fathers not his mothers!. That could mean the chubby little girls could be my aunt Kathleen Heydock b 1920 so that would fit with her physical resemblance to her mother and the dates. Thank you that is a good start in terms of now searching for the weird headgear in a different era!

That's more likely, the format would be very different for an 1890s image. I think the two girls are wearing fancy hats, the girl at the back looks to have a ticket attached to the headdress, it could be a party or a local event.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 January 21 16:07 GMT (UK) »

That's more likely, the format would be very different for an 1890s image. I think the two girls are wearing fancy hats, the girl at the back looks to have a ticket attached to the headdress, it could be a party or a local event.

Carol
Feels more like a posed family shoot, dog and cat there too? I saw the white mark that looks like a ticket. Odd. Love that my aunts shoe is undone!
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon