Author Topic: Headset for a Tablet  (Read 826 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Headset for a Tablet
« on: Sunday 03 January 21 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I've joined a few Zoom events via my tablet but the sound quality varies.  :(

Would a headset improve this and does anyone have any recommendations......or ones to avoid?  I don't need anything fancy.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Headset for a Tablet
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 21 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Like any other audio device, it's a matter of preference.

If the important thing for you is being able to hear the others, an "ear muff" style would suit. They shut out other noise in your room, and there will be little feedback between them and the microphone. In the days of audio conference calls, these were a lot more common. I have a Microsoft set with a USB connection from about 2010. They work well enough for me, but they look massive in video calls.

There are also sets with a single earpiece and a strap over your head to keep them on. We used to use this type for our phones at work. They worked well for that. You could type whilst on a call, and still hear someone on the next desk.

Both types have microphones on a boom so you can position it appropriately close to your mouth.

With a tablet, you need to consider how it will connect. If your tablet has Bluetooth, that gives an easy link to a range of headsets. Otherwise, USB is your option. You may need a USB adaptor; most headsets would use a USB-A connector (rectangular, 12mm by 4.5mm). Tablets tend to use the micro-USB connectors common on mobile phones. Some use USB-C connectors, which have rounded ends and can be plugged in either way round.

Bluetooth headsets let you wander away, to make a cup of tea for example, without having to unplug, or get comfortable again on your return.

All these things can be found online (Curry's, Argos, Amazon etc.).
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 January 21 13:03 GMT (UK) »

Thank you!  Just the advice I was looking for.  :)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 January 21 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ray T; don't think my tablet does Bluetooth.

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 January 21 19:11 GMT (UK) »
nanny Jan, if You want to be certain Your Tablet doesn't have Bluetooth capability, just post the Tablet's manufacturer and model number, and this could be confirmed, or otherwise.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 January 21 19:22 GMT (UK) »
It's an Amazon one, was given it in November 2019. Will have to check if I have any paperwork.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 January 21 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I’d be surprised if your Amazon tablet didn’t have Bluetooth.

Follow these steps: https://www.support.com/how-to/how-to-connect-to-bluetooth-on-an-amazon-fire-tablet-10625

There are lots of wireless headsets/earbuds on the market, at a wide variety of prices. Earbuds don’t stay in my ears, so I have top of the range BEATS. However, if you only want them for ZOOM, you don’t need anything expensive.

Alternatively, you could use a bluetooth speaker, eg BOSE SoundLink Colour II Portable Bluetooth Speaker. I use one to connect to my iPad to listen to audio books.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 January 21 22:29 GMT (UK) »
It's an Amazon one, was given it in November 2019. Will have to check if I have any paperwork.

You should be able to check on the tablet itself.

Amazon.com Help: Which Fire Tablet Do I Have?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G4JTV3J2UKA7JFCS

1. Open the Settings menu.
2. Select Device Options.
3. Your device model is listed under Device Model or About Fire Tablet.

One word of cation re. bluetooth headsets, they can be prone to 'lag' (a delay between the video and audio) which can be annoying. However, the lag can depend on various factors (device bluetooth version, headset bluetooth version, the supported codecs etc) so it's often hard to know whether a particular pairing (device + headset) will suffer from it without actually trying.

Wired headsets shouldn't suffer from any lag so if your device has a 3.5mm jack, wired headsets are an option.

As a cheap and cheerful option, if you've bought a phone in recent years that came with earphones (and they have a mic) you might want to give that a try first.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson