Author Topic: Scottish Marriage Records  (Read 1735 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Marriage Records
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 January 21 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you found the records of the baptisms of children born to the couple who married in 1821? The witnesses might give clues to other family members.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 January 21 13:52 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering what information would be on a marriage record from 1821 -- in particular, would it give the parents names for the bride & groom
Mostly they do not give any information about the couple's parents. Occasionally they tell you the bride's father's name. They seldom give the name of the groom's father, and almost never give the names of either party's mother.

The Barony parish register is usually more informative than most.

I looked through the 36 marriages I have transcribed from the Barony parish register for my tree. One record gave the names of the fathers of both bride and groom. Six gave the name of the bride's father but not that of the groom's father. The remaining 29 gave neither, and none gave the name of either party's mother.

Several of them (I didn't count specifically) said who the officiating minister was, and his denomination if he was not Church of Scotland. Some gave the groom's occupation, and one or two gave a street address for one or other of the couple rather than just saying 'in this parish'.

Even if the IGI included this marriage (which it doesn't) it would not include any of this additional information. The transcriptions on FreeREG do not yet include Barony. The only way to find out whether or not the record gives any additional details is to view the original.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 January 21 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Oh well I've learnt something today - the Parish of Barony, Lanarkshire is now part of the City of Glasgow!

If you can narrow dates down, it might be worth looking through this site and asking for a lookup (cost = £1 per lookup, per year)

https://www.oldscottish.com/barony.html

You might not get any further, but £1 is not much to pay!
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 January 21 16:09 GMT (UK) »
You may need to see if you can find parish records for the marriage.There is info for Church of Scotland and Roman Catholic parishes covered on ScotlandsPeople website, but as I understand it the entries are not online.
Incorrect.

Images of all the surviving Church of Scotland and Roman Catholic Church registers, and many but not all of the Dissenting and Free Churches' registers, are available online at Scotland's People. It's pay-per-view but modestly priced - £1.50 at the time of writing.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 January 21 16:25 GMT (UK) »
You may need to see if you can find parish records for the marriage.There is info for Church of Scotland and Roman Catholic parishes covered on ScotlandsPeople website, but as I understand it the entries are not online.
Incorrect.

Images of all the surviving Church of Scotland and Roman Catholic Church registers, and many but not all of the Dissenting and Free Churches' registers, are available online at Scotland's People. It's pay-per-view but modestly priced - £1.50 at the time of writing.

I stand corrected! What I read elsewhere seemed to suggest otherwise, but that is good news!
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 January 21 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Incorrect.

I stand corrected! What I read elsewhere seemed to suggest otherwise, but that is good news!
If 'elsewhere' is Ancestry or MyHeritage or some other commercial web site, I am not surprised.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 January 21 17:33 GMT (UK) »
In my experience, the names of the bride's and/or groom's parents were mentioned if they had some kind of social standing (they owned property, or had "important" jobs, or were/had been the heads of guilds). With this type of people, sometimes the cautioner's relationship to the bride and/or groom was also given.

However, as someone else has pointed out, it could also depend on the minister, so parish registers for some places during some time frames might include more detailed information regardless of social status.

I think it's always worth the six credits to purchase the document in question, just in case. You might be disappointed but you won't know until you see it. And you can't tell from the index whether or not that extra information is included in the register.

Have you checked for newspaper notices of the marriage? Sometimes they'll list the father's names.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Online Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 January 21 17:57 GMT (UK) »
They were unlikely to be "people of  some social standing" as once in Liverpool,  the 3 brothers were dockworkers or publicans.
There does not seem to be a newspaper notice of the marriage

6 Credits (£1.50) does in itself appear a reasonable amount to pay on the off-chance the entry contains useful information, but as the minimum number of credits I can buy is 30, it makes it more expensive if I have no further need of them
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 January 21 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you found the records of the baptisms of children born to the couple who married in 1821? The witnesses might give clues to other family members.

Have you looked at any of the Thomas and Agnes's children's christenings? They do show on the OPRs:

Jean 1822...must have died very young and name re-used
Thomas 1824
Jean 1826
Richard 1829
John 1831...must have died very young and name re-used
Christian 1833
Agnes 1835
John 1838

Family may have used Scottish naming pattern for the names of their children (lots of links for this, such as www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm).

When you say that family papers indicate father was called John, what is their source?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk