Author Topic: Family History Goals  (Read 270 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Family History Goals
« on: Sunday 03 January 21 14:42 GMT (UK) »
New Year always gives you the chance to re-assess your Family History research work and set yourself new goals and targets for the following year. In previous years I have stumbled along without a plan or real structure to my research and ended up wasting literally months of my time, on aimless and pointless searches. A few years ago I decided to set myself targets and goals each year, to help me to maintain focus. Not everyone will need this, we all work differently and if you have your own methods and they work for you, then definitely stick to it! I have found that I need a more structured approach, this has benefited me enormously over the recent years. That doesn't mean that you can't dive off down a few rabbit holes every once in a while, thats all part of the fun!

The key thing of course, before you set yourself new goals, is to review your goals from the previous year, to see how you faired against the target you set yourself.

Here's my yearly review;

​​​​​​​https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2021/01/03/my-end-of-year-report-2020/
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Family History Goals
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 09:55 GMT (UK) »

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chiddicks,

Well, what an inspiration you are!  I too have been "family researching" for quite some years, but when I read your yearly plans and reports, I realise just how totally disorganised I have been, and how much i have "wafted and waned" over the years.  "Caring" needs over the past 7 or 8 years in particular have meant I had little time to plan, but still got lots of joy from my meanderings from one branch to another.
A realistic plan for 2021!!  Yes, - and Thanks to you, i will spend some time doing just that.  Cheers - and all the very best for 2021 to you and all Rootschatters.   And stay safe everyone!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chiddicks,

Well, what an inspiration you are!  I too have been "family researching" for quite some years, but when I read your yearly plans and reports, I realise just how totally disorganised I have been, and how much i have "wafted and waned" over the years.  "Caring" needs over the past 7 or 8 years in particular have meant I had little time to plan, but still got lots of joy from my meanderings from one branch to another.
A realistic plan for 2021!!  Yes, - and Thanks to you, i will spend some time doing just that.  Cheers - and all the very best for 2021 to you and all Rootschatters.   And stay safe everyone!

Thank you so much maggbill, and wishing you a Happy New Year and here's to  a better 2021 for all of us!!

Believe me, for years, my work was disorganised, lacked inspiration, lacked depth and I just flitted from search to search aimlessly. It's taken me years to shake that off, re-organise and restructure all my work and take a more structured and methodical approach to my work. Don't get me wrong, I still disappear down plenty of Rabbit Holes chasing shiny objects, like we all do. The difference now is that I now know the way back to the main road again!!

Good luck with your researches in 2021!!!

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Chiddicks,

And as you said, sometimes those rabbit holes lead to the joy of solving a mystery of ten years or more, as happened to me over the past few months!  Must also say that by far the most satisfaction I have had with my research has been influenced and assisted by Rootschatters input!

YEAH TO ALL ROOTSCHATTERS - And HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.