Author Topic: Frank Hawker connection to Stacey's/ Pursey's, Hoskins, Smart, Fowles families o  (Read 1085 times)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frank Hawker born Glastonbury? 1863 died 1953 in Rochester, USA where he was living with his daughter Hilda and son in law Reginald Miles following the death of his wife in 1937. He returned once to Street for 6 months before taken back to the US by his daughter.
He and his wife had lived in West End, Street, Somerset and both worked for Clarks the shoe company.
The mystery I have is that I have photos that suggest there is a family connection. My efforts have drawn a blank and I would be interested to know of any family ties to Stacey, Hoskins, Fowles/Vowles, Pursey or Smarts. It may be simply that they were close neighbours of my family who also lived in West End, Street but photos of just their family would be unusual to keep for many decades.

It is a long shot but if anyone knows of a connection it would be lovely.
Thanks Mark

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Hawker connection to Stacey's/ Pursey's, Hoskins, Smart, Fowles families o
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 21 22:11 GMT (UK) »
1901 at 2 Gladstone Terrace the Hawker family are living next door to your Aldus Stacey and family at no 3. 
Next census same addresses.

So not a family link as yet but a neighbourly one.

Frank 1863 mothers name was Andrews in case that links in anywhere to your other surnames.
He is with Andrews as grandson in 1871/1881.

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Hawker connection to Stacey's/ Pursey's, Hoskins, Smart, Fowles families o
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 21 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Frank Hawker is in quite a few trees on Ancestry, but most seem to lack possible parents' names. 
To find a family connection you have to work back from what you know of him, so a marriage certificate for father's name would be a starting point - some of those trees think Frank/Francis was born in Birmingham.

Added:
But this looks like his birth

GRO
Frank Andrews Hawker mmn Andrews   March quarter 1863 in Wells

Marriage of John Hawker and Emily Andrews in Wells in 1861?

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 21 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks and Andrews not a family name so quite likely just neighbours but might just be a relation.

Offline loubags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 September 21 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark, could be a long shot but I have a Samuel Vowles in the family (1889–1970). He lives in Street and is a boot maker. His daughter also goes on to work in a shoe factory, so I wonder if it's a factory connection?

I also have a Frank Hawker in the family about the same dates as yours but (if it's the same person) they're not directly linked to the Vowles that I can see.

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 15:29 BST (UK) »
So sorry for the delay as I have had problems logging in. My gt gramdmother was Alice Vowles (Fowles) she was married to Aldus Stacey. Her father was Henry a shoemaker of Street. If you can find any connection I would love to hear from you and I can send you the photos I have. Many thanks for sending your message.

Offline loubags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 October 21 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark, if it is possibly to do with a factory link, Milliepede previously mentioned this but in the 1901 census, your Frank Hawker (shoemaker) is living with his wife Annie (machinist) and his children, including Hilda, in Gladstone Terrace, Street.

Living next door, we have your great grandfather Aldus Stacy, aged about 19, in the household of his father Alfred, who is a clicker leather boot maker.

A couple of doors down in Gladstone Terrace, we then have Thomas Pursey (another name you mentioned) and his family, who is a shoecutter along with his 13-year-old son Arthur.

I can't find Gladstone Terrace on Google Maps but an old map shows that it's just off the West End: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/som/vol9/pp165-198, which may be the connection there.

In the will for your great grandmother Alice, she is living at Stonehill, Street, but it says she dies at 1 Gladstone Terrace in West End, Street.

My Samuel Vowles and his family are living in West End in 1901 and he is a boot maker.

It could be coincidental of course but there does seem to be a strong factory link as well as a neighbourly one.

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 October 21 09:26 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks for taking the trouble to help. I am surprised as it seems that Gladstone Terrace has been renamed West End. Previously it was Teetotal Row af ter Quaker influence. The chip shop in the street was 3 Gladstone Terrace. It does seem as you suggest that the Hawker's were neighbours and friends. I have a photo of them and would be happy to share with any decendants of theirs. Thank you again. It was interesting to learn she died at 1 Gladstone Terrace. I wonder if it shows who lived in that house as it seems that it was not the immediate family who were caring for her? Thanks Mark