Author Topic: Daniel Jenman and Mary Lowther. London. Can someone date and restore it please?  (Read 867 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Jenman and Mary Lowther. London. Can someone date and restore it please?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 January 21 22:50 GMT (UK) »
In addition to the 1820-21 one (d 1883), there is also a D G J (aged 23 so b.c. 1848)  in the 1871 census, Bankers' clerk, b. Clerkenwell.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Jenman and Mary Lowther. London. Can someone date and restore it please?
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 January 21 23:29 GMT (UK) »
See 1861 census RG09/52/35/25 Clerkenwell. Daniel b. 1848 is son of Daniel b. c, 1822 and Mary, b.c. 1829.

Gadget.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Well done Gadget, I think you have solved it  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Would certainly seem to tally with apparent age of the man doesn't it.   ;)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I think the early records suggest that there was a surname change from Callaghan to Jenman. 1951 censuses show Callaghan. Mary Lowther married D G Callaghan in 1845.

DG, the younger, was registered Q3, 1847, Clerkenwell. MMN Lowther

:-\

Add - just found a baptism - Church of Holy Saviour, Saffron Hill, Holburn for Daniel George Callaghan bpt 1 Aug 1847, b. 1 July 1847. Parents - Daniel George and Mary Callaghan

It doesn't make sense really!

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 11:31 GMT (UK) »
My try at restoring and colouring as requested
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline FrancisGrn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you all for your wonderful work on my ancestors' photos. Its' a real treat to be able to see them more clearly! In response to a few questions:
Yes, Daniel Jenman was born in 1820 as far as the records are correct. The photo was shared with us by a relative we met on ancestry, who says that the photos were handed down by her grandmother, and 'ma's grandfather' is clearly on the back of the photo. Besides, they don't look anything alike, so I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that they were brother and sister!. In response to some suggestions from you, yes, Daniel Jenman and his entire family changed their surname to Jenman from Callaghan, the surname of his father. Family lore says that Jenman worked at the Evening Standard, and the change was done to avoid anti-Irish prejudice. Jenman's father was an Irish soldier. The surname is actually a corruption of his mother's surname, Ginman. I assume they changed it so as to not be associated with gin, which casued a moral panic at the time (mother's ruin). Anyway, thank you very much
Francis

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 12:31 GMT (UK) »
tried but failed to sort the mottling blots in the original, so I produced this instead, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.