Author Topic: Langbridge / Naylor Family 1800's  (Read 407 times)

Offline gaz2195

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Langbridge / Naylor Family 1800's
« on: Sunday 03 January 21 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm trying to unpick the reason why an ancestor appeared to change his surname. I know there can be a few reasons, but this one I can't work out.

Squire Langbridge born c1845 in Wakefield, Yorkshire (Father James, Mother Ann) appears on both the 1851 and 1861 census as Langbridge, then he disappears.

In 1871, a Squire Naylor appears in Sheffield with the same rough birth year, same birthplace, same occupation and on his marriage certificate to Sarah Maria Brooker in 1871 it lists his father as James (though it says James Naylor instead of Langbridge). James looks to have died somewhere between the 1861 and 1871 census.

At first I thought it was just a massive coincidence, but when I look at the Langbridge household in 1841, its as follows

York St, Leeds
James Langbridge Age 30 1811
Ann Langbridge Age 25 1816
George Langbridge Age 4 1837
Maria Langbridge Age 2 1839
Sarah Naylor Age 25 1816
Mary Naylor Age 0 1841
Emma Brooke Age 20 1821

This takes away some of the doubt that its a coincidence, with the two Naylors in that household 4 years before Squire arrives.

What I can't find is, who is the Ann that is shown as Langbridge? I cannot find a marriage record. If her maiden name was Naylor, it would sort of explain things a bit. Could Ann and Sarah be sisters? Still puzzling as to why Squire would ditch his fathers name after his death.

Any help welcome, as I'm going round in circles with it.

Thanks

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Langbridge / Naylor Family 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 21 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that Naylor is the correct Surname for the Family, and the Squires have adopted, for some part, a Manorial Place Name. When He left the 'Langbridge Manor', He reverted to the Naylor Surname.

ADD: I  have mistaken a Forename for a Manorial Title ! Unless the Family had connections with the Isle of Wight.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline gaz2195

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 21 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Yep, Squire is his forename. Quite unusual you would think.....until you start to search for Squire Naylor's in Yorkshire, there are loads of them. There are even 3 all born at roughly the same time.

The one I have must be linked to the others in some way, which is why I was assuming Ann Langbridge was nee Naylor, and brought the forename over.

I just haven't got anything to prove it at the moment

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 21 02:15 GMT (UK) »
His mothers maiden name was Naylor as per GRO online

Birth March qtr 1844 Wakefield 22 687

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 21 15:04 GMT (UK) »
In that 1841 census the Langbridge & Naylor families are listed as 2 separate households living in the same house/tenement

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 21 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Squire was baptised 27 May 1844 at Wakefield All Saints birth noted as 29 Dec 1843 son of James, cordwainer & Ann.
At the same time two older children were baptised George born 15 April 1835 & Maria born 26 Dec 1837, father James but mother Sophia.
Marriage 28 Aug 1826 at St Peter's Leeds for James Langbridge, shoemaker, & Sophia Hilton, both marked, witnesses Benjamin Taylor & Robert Hargrave who both signed.
Burial in Huddersfield 28 April 1839 for Sophia Langbridge 32 address Out Coat Bank?

Earlier baptisms to James & Sophia
Elizabeth born 20 March 1827 baptised 4 June 1827 dau of James, shoemaker, & Sophia of Marsh Lane at St Peter's Leeds
Sarah Ann baptised 23 April 1832, daughter of James, shoemaker, & Sophia of Northgate at Wakefield.

The day after Squire's baptism, there are 2 more Langbridge baptisms in the same church, George born 14 June 1834 & Mary Ann born 10 March 1837, father George, cordwainer, & Mary. Coincidence or is George related to James.

It does look like James & Ann didn't marry although children were registered as if they were.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 January 21 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I think it looks as though James and Ann weren’t married and Squire and his brother Thomas reverted to their mother’s name.
The family are together in 1861 as Langbridge. Squire and Thomas are both Cloggers.

There is a marriage in 1867, Thomas Naylor 21 yrs a Clogger - no father named to Jane Sharpe.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 January 21 15:41 GMT (UK) »
The day after Squire's baptism, there are 2 more Langbridge baptisms in the same church, George born 14 June 1834 & Mary Ann born 10 March 1837, father George, cordwainer, & Mary. Coincidence or is George related to James.

There is a George b Woolwich (as James) at 1851 2319/738/2
In Leeds.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 January 21 15:47 GMT (UK) »
James Langbridge death 1865 aged 58 yrs. burial Beckett Street Cemetery.
Maybe that year is significant to the change of surname  :-\