Author Topic: Potential Travellers - Rogers  (Read 457 times)

Offline gaz2195

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Potential Travellers - Rogers
« on: Sunday 03 January 21 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Whilst researching my wife's tree we were initially stuck at the fact that an ancestor was seemingly missing from the 1911 census when she should really be on it, being born in 1903.

Having searched through records we finally came across both her marriage record and her birth record. Both listed her name as Doris Rogers Huteson.

On her birth certificate in the Sheffield records, her forenames were listed as Doris Rogers, with Huteson her surname, but no father was listed. Her mother was named as Annie. We assumed that the father was not known.

However, when looking at the marriage certificate to William Jennings Naylor, her father was listed as Joseph Rogers, with his occupation being shown as 'Traveller'.

In addition to Doris on 1903, there was also as Joseph Rogers Huteson in 1905, so clearly if the father was travelling so to speak, he must have returned.

I cannot find Doris or Joseph on the 1911 census, certainly not under Huteson anyway (Annie seems to appear in Lincoln under Hutson, but without the kids). None of the Rogers entries seem to fit either. I can only assume they were of no fixed abode and part of the travelling community until Doris came back to be married in the 1920's.

Prior to Doris being born, the 1901 census has Annie living and working at the Barrell Inn pub in Sheffield, so possibly was there when she conceived Doris.

If anyone has any information it would help massively.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Travellers - Rogers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 January 21 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Birth is registered in Sheffield as Annie Rodgers (not Rogers)  Huteson  but Joseph is Rogers Huteson

freebmd has a birth in 1872 Sculcoates for an Annie Huteson & there is a marriage in 1905 to Charles Robinson but don't know if that's your Annie.  Also a marriage in 1910 in Lincolnshire

1901 also has an Annie Huteson b Hull 1878 living with parents

How did you determine which Annie was the mother?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 21 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Baptism is on FindMyPast. All Saints, Sheffield 28 Oct 1903. Born oct 14.

Doris Rogers   Dau of Annie HUTESON.  No father named

Address as per image

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 21 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Births September qtr 1905   
Joseph Rogers Huteson      Sheffield    9c   590
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gaz2195

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 21 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all. I do have the details of the two birth/baptism records and saw that no father was listed for Doris. I wasn't even sure why Rogers was included as her middle name until I saw her marriage certificate, which showed her father as "Joseph Rogers, Traveller"

It's the mystery of where Doris and Joseph went that's puzzling, as there's no trace on the 1911 census.

In reply to the message further up about knowing which Annie Huteson was the correct one; I had some help on another forum that traced a Huteson family from Scunthorpe, Lincs to St Pancras. Following the death of the father, the widowed mother then remarried in Sheffield, tieing in with the dates that a Ann Huteson appeared in 1901 living in the Barrell Inn pub, with birthplace shown as Scunthorpe.

I know the area where the pub once stood and it is within 5-10 minutes walk of where Doris' (her daughter) future husband (married in 1926) grew up. I just can't account for where Doris was between her birth and her marriage.

I wondered whether she had become part of the travelling community with her father being listed as such on her marriage certificate