Author Topic: Land transactions records 1800s  (Read 545 times)

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Land transactions records 1800s
« on: Monday 04 January 21 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone know if there is a central repository for land transactions in the 1800s?  My ancestor is shown as a freeholder in the 1840 tithe for Hawkesbury, Gloucestershire and I would like to know when the land was purchased and price etc.  I have enquired at the Gloucestershire, Bristol and Wiltshire Archives but they are unable to help me.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Land transactions records 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 January 21 09:22 GMT (UK) »
The deeds would be your only hope. They just might have been deposited in an archive by solicitors, but you've effectively tried that route. Possible reports of auction sales in local newspapers? Try the current owners as they might have deeds - if their purchase was recent it's likely there won't be much left, as the Land Registry doesn't record very old information.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 21 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Did you ask Gloucestershire Archives specifically about manorial records? The Manorial Documents Register shows that Hawkesbury came into several different manors: Tresham and Hillesley each have one or two items for the early 1800s, which might possibly mention freeholders. You would probably need the archivist or an independent researcher to look at them for you.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/c?_sf=textstman&_tn=hawkesbury&_ocn=Gloucestershire&_naet=M&_st=mdrc

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 05:18 GMT (UK) »
I am so sorry but I inadvertently typed my ancestor's place of birth (Hawkesbury) and not where he held the freehold land - Iron Acton, Glos.  My apologies.  I had not thought of the manorial register so thank you for that.  Upon checking it the records for IA seem to be held at Wiltshire Archives so I will contact them with the information taken from the Register.  I will also try newspapers for any sale of land in the lane where my ancestor lived.
I had hoped that each county would have a register of land transactions as we do here in New South Wales but this does not seem to be the case in England.
Many thanks
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia