Author Topic: Names of 19th century New Zealand migrants born in Australia to convict parents?  (Read 1712 times)

Offline JoannaC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am looking for any names of New Zealand migrants who were born in Australia to convict parents (likely around the mid nineteenth century). I am about to begin a masters thesis on these descendants so any information would be greatly appreciated!

To give some background, my ancestor Bridget Lydia Bowerman (Mcartney) was born in New South Wales to convict parents, before moving to New Zealand and settling in Nelson. Her mother, Ellen Timson, was sent to Australia onboard the Lucy Davidson ship in 1829 at the age of 17, after stealing a watch. I am very interested in how various migrants were perceived by colonial New Zealand society, especially those who had convict ancestry.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Names of 19th century New Zealand migrants born in Australia to convict parents?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 January 21 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi JoannaC, and welcome to RootsChat :)

You have posted your topic in Completed Requests. I’ll move it to the main NZ board where more people will see it.

Spades

ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Names of 19th century New Zealand migrants born in Australia to convict parents?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 21 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I am very interested in how various migrants were perceived by colonial New Zealand society, especially those who had convict ancestry.

I doubt that anyone would have known what their background was.

Debra  :D

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 21 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to the NZ forum.

If you can give the forum an indication of research information sites, you are familiar with, [ Eg Papers Past, Archway, Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Libraries & Museums] the expert researchers herein will then be able to suggest less obvious places [special interest groups] you can go to, seeking answers to the life and times, of the early settlers.

Each have speciality fields.

When do you expect Bridget reached New Zealand?

Alan.

PS I have family examples of arrival in 1842, 1859 / 1862.  And have studied other families of that period, so am familiar with the life and conditions they endured, but all arrived direct from the UK.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 21 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Edited[/quote]

I doubt that anyone would have known what their background was.

[/quote]

Even today there is talk of only 2 degrees of separation within NZ.  Those around her would have been aware by her speech, as would her fellow travellers, that she was from Australia. Much would have depended upon how quickly she could have found work, and kept out of trouble. Both Bowerman, and McArtney, family names were well known in business etc in the area indicated. A housekeeping, or nanny job in one of the settlers families could have helped her get started in New Zealand.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Online minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 21 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Maybe some useful background here?

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/78231574/new-zealands-dark-secret-many-of-us-are-descendants-of-australian-convicts

https://teara.govt.nz/en/australians/page-2

http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/newzealand.html

For those searching-

Marriage added:

1860/3959   Bridget Lydia   Bowerman   John   McArtney
Death added:

1909/3447   McArtney   Bridget Lydia   70Y

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Online minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that this could be her arrival from Sydney in 1860??

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TC18600824.2.3?end_date=31-12-1860&query=bowerman&snippet=true&start_date=01-01-1839

[Her date of marriage was 2.10.1860.]

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Even today there is talk of only  2 degrees of separation within NZ.  Those around her would have been aware by her speech, as would her fellow travellers, that she was from Australia.

I was referring to "I am very interested in how various migrants were perceived by colonial New Zealand society, especially those who had convict ancestry", not the fact that she was from Australia.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 02:27 GMT (UK) »
I would think that any ex convict or a child of an ex convict, would have kept that quiet of they moved to another country and had the chance to start “afresh”. You would expect there to be some shame attached to this in those early days.

It could also be that children born in Australia of convict/s, may not have known of their parent’s criminal past.

How much documentation would there be about how migrants, children of convicts or otherwise, were perceived by NZ society? Just thinking out loud ....