Author Topic: Searching for information on my grandfather  (Read 3638 times)

Offline John Scott 1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for information on my grandfather
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 14 January 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
The thing was, if a woman professed to be married then it was her word & she could give whatever info. she wanted without question.
It was the mother who registered his birth i.e. anything written were her words although it looks like they were unmarried unless they married outside England/Wales.

At the time of registration she could say whatever even without the father present?
Not sure what you mean by “anything written…” etc. Do you think this registration looks like an unmarried couple?   

The census is only 1 night in 10 yrs i.e. your g/father could have been staying overnight for just 1 night.
Annie
I suppose I find it interesting that he was born at this address, was there 5 years later on census night, referred to this address on another document I now have and my Aunt told me she lived there with her Mum while he was away in WW2.   

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 14 January 21 12:08 GMT (UK) »
The registration looks like they were a married couple.

The Registrar asked for the details and the mother has given them;  the father being shown as a commercial traveller could account for him being absent and so the baby registered by the mother.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 14 January 21 14:55 GMT (UK) »

Free index to 1911
South Bersted
Annie Jordan, 28
With Mother Ellen Jordan, 68
Also listed with them in the index are
Kathleen Hogg, 11 (niece)
Georgie Scott, 5 (cousin)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X714-K7W

Kathleen Hogg is daughter of Annie's older sister Nellie Charlotte Jordan. She married James Alfred Hogg in 1896. Nellie was born in Canada abt 1874.

Denwood John seems to have left Ellen, reversed his forenames and set up home with an Isabella Hellyer nee Meaden in Derby.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 14 January 21 19:48 GMT (UK) »
"At the time of registration she could say whatever even without the father present?
Not sure what you mean by “anything written…” etc. Do you think this registration looks like an unmarried couple?"

The mother was entitled to register the child without the father being present as she has stated she was married.
If she wasn't genuinely married she wouldn't be questioned unless it was known to the registrar I guess.
I stated it looked like they were unmarried unless they married outside England/Wales as I couldn't find a marriage entry for the parents.

A woman could say she was married, give her husband's name & occupation yet none of it be true.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 14 January 21 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Your Grandfather also visited Canada. Both documents appear on Ancestry.

In the Canada(Ocean Arrivals) dataset he appears as 17 years old from Bognor. Arriving in Canada to learn the trade of farming, passage was paid by his employer. His next of kin on that document was his father a 'Mr Frank Scott' of 28 Moreton Place, Westminster SW ( This address does exist but I can't find a Frank Scott living there) - although there is a Frank Herbert Pattinson in 1925 , may be worth checking this guy out

Arriving back in England 1925 (7 March) onboard the Montcalm his returning address is given as Laurel Cottage, Ivy Lane Bognor - where Annie Stamp was living.

Claire

Interesting that the father on the birth cert is also Frank Herbert Scott

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 14 January 21 21:05 GMT (UK) »
From previous info. posted it seems Frank Herbert was using both surnames or at least is the same person, maybe he was illegitimate using both parents surnames at different times?

Could be quite an interesting story  :)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline John Scott 1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 15 January 21 07:27 GMT (UK) »
From previous info. posted it seems Frank Herbert was using both surnames or at least is the same person, maybe he was illegitimate using both parents surnames at different times?

Could be quite an interesting story  :)

Annie

Yes. I am happy to have got where I am considering I was flailing badly prior to finding RootsChat to find anything on my Grandfather  but the conjecture I heard from my dad and his siblings over the years has me so curious now. I rang my aunt last night and told her the further info I have but she could add nothing further. I will keep looking.

Again thanks to everyone. John.