Author Topic: Searching for information on my grandfather  (Read 3664 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for information on my grandfather
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 January 21 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I can't say who Georgie Scott from 1911 is. It's a bit of a puzzle at the moment.
But it certainly looks interesting, if you have been told of a connection between Frank George and an Annie Stamp.
FamilySearch have BTs for South Bersted going up to 1912, hoped there might be a baptism, if indeed he was from there, haven't seen one so far, in 1905 or 1906.
Good luck!
John

Online ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 January 21 23:55 GMT (UK) »
There are two merchant seamen records online, is this your man: He was a 3rd class waiter.

George Frank Scott born 16 June 1905 Bognor Regis

Height: 5 ft 4 and a half,
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Complexion : Fresh
Distinguishing Features: Tattoos on various parts of his body

Claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 00:01 GMT (UK) »
The documents were dated 1936 and 1937 and one included his signature. You could perhaps use it against his marriage certificate or military records to see if it's the same man.

Claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John Scott 1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 01:35 GMT (UK) »
There are two merchant seamen records online, is this your man: He was a 3rd class waiter.

George Frank Scott born 16 June 1905 Bognor Regis

Height: 5 ft 4 and a half,
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Complexion : Fresh
Distinguishing Features: Tattoos on various parts of his body

Claire

I think this is him Claire.

Thank you so much.

Offline John Scott 1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 01:37 GMT (UK) »
The documents were dated 1936 and 1937 and one included his signature. You could perhaps use it against his marriage certificate or military records to see if it's the same man.

Claire

I don't have any documents with his signature but I have saved this for when I do.

Thanks. 

Offline John Scott 1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 02:13 GMT (UK) »
This has been wonderful, and I can not thank you all enough for your contribution. I have found a military record from 1922 that has a 16-year-old George Scott with a next of kin as an Aunt named Annie Stamp and a birthdate of 16/06/05. I have been able to look for the birth record on GRO and found his others maiden name as Batten. I have ordered a PDF of the certificate. I now have a lot to work with.

I know I am sounding gushing in my thanks, but I really appreciate everyone's help. To think that what I thought was a throwaway name of "Annie Stamp" by my aunty has been of such assistance. I have learnt a lot, and I am looking forward to further research into this line of my family. 

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Great research by all, I've really enjoyed reading this & how the magical mystery has been revealed, well done!

JS, it's just a pity you hadn't included the info. on Annie Stamp in your opening post which has turned out to be the main lead although understandable.

This was how I found out who my g g/mother really was as her father had died prior to her birth & she'd been brought up by her g/parents under their surname on census' which was the surname my aunt had recalled although my aunt had no knowledge of the circumstances or her real surname so that little thread of info. opened up so much for me too i.e. I know that feeling of excitement all too well  :)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline John Scott 1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 03:54 GMT (UK) »
Great research by all, I've really enjoyed reading this & how the magical mystery has been revealed, well done!

JS, it's just a pity you hadn't included the info. on Annie Stamp in your opening post which has turned out to be the main lead although understandable.

This was how I found out who my g g/mother really was as her father had died prior to her birth & she'd been brought up by her g/parents under their surname on census' which was the surname my aunt had recalled although my aunt had no knowledge of the circumstances or her real surname so that little thread of info. opened up so much for me too i.e. I know that feeling of excitement all too well  :)

Annie

Thanks Annie. I have genuinely learnt a lot. Excitement? I had to go for a walk  ;D

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I know I am sounding gushing in my thanks, but I really appreciate everyone's help. 
You don't sound gushing; just grateful & it's lovely. Anyone who helps far prefers any type of thanks to none  :D
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON