Author Topic: Lord Thomas bladgett of Haughley manor  (Read 2577 times)

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Lord Thomas bladgett of Haughley manor
« on: Monday 04 January 21 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm looking to find siblings of Lord Thomas bladgett of Haughley Manor born 1490 in Haughley Suffolk he died 5th June 1560 in Haughley midd Suffolk he was married to a Elizabeth aimsworth blowgate she was born 1509 in Haughley and died 1573 in Haughley

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Thomas bladgett of Haughley manor
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 January 21 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get the information about him, from?

Try an internet search.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 21 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I think the surname should be Blodgett. There are entries on the internet for that name in the same location.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 21 17:33 GMT (UK) »
1. Are you sure he was Lord Bladgett, or was he lord of the manor? There are no mentions of either surname on www.thepeerage.com which is pretty comprehensive, so I'd suggest lord of the manor. I can't find a Bladgett record in the TNA catalogue; probates for the time in Haughley don't relate to either surname.
2. There won't be parish registers for the time - it's too early.
3. Other possible sources are local histories, just maybe the Victoria County History. You might find that some 19th century antiquarian has done the research - though whether they got it right is another matter!

So your next port of call is the manorial documents. If you search on this part of the TNA site you'find where those documents that survive can be found: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/manor-search  They are in four places: TNA, Staffordshire Archives, Suffolk Archives, and Essex Archives. It's likely that nothing is online, and also that the records will be in Latin.

Best of luck!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 21 17:50 GMT (UK) »

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 21 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Visitations of Suffolk 1561, 1577, 1612 These were like a "Who's Who" of nobility and gentry in a county. An internet search should bring up a searchable copy. Another internet search for Heralds' Visitations should find an explanation. 

"Medieval Source material on the internet"
www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/sources/visitations.shtml

Haughley House . A very brief history. Belonged to Mary Tudor in 1554. Would that be the Mary Tudor who became Queen Mary? https://www.haughleyhouse.co.uk/history/
Cowban

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 January 21 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi I got to ask would Lord  Thomas blodgett be related to Queen Mary. The reason why I am ask is because Lord Thomas blodgett of Haughley Manor would be my 13th grandad as I'm on ancestry and I have done a ancestry tree as well as dna on ancestry

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 January 21 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Which Queen Mary - there are quite a few?

Why should he be??

How did you verify all the connections?

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 January 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
This is of interest. It's from just a shade later than the dates you're interested in:
https://www.academia.edu/5928539/By_Metes_and_Boundes_rediscovering_the_Survey_of_the_Manor_of_Haughley_c_1554_Updated_edition_2014_

The more I read of this the less I believe that this gentleman was nobility; gentry instead as lord of the manor.

Can you please tell us what lines of evidence connect you this far back in history?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan