Author Topic: Mystery postcard ?  (Read 326 times)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery postcard ?
« on: Monday 04 January 21 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I have discovered a postcard that was among my late mother’s possessions.
It was sent to her under her married name from Le Touqet on 18 September 1959. Besides my mother’s name and address the only words written on  it are
Hi/
    p

The picture on the front of the card is labelled Manoir at Golf Hotel.

I suspect that it may have been sent to her by Peter Reynolds who apparently had been courting her for years before she agreed to marry him on Valentine’s Day 1962.

I know that Peter was and accomplished golfer, but, I wonder, if it was him that posted it, what he might have been doing in France at that time.

He left the BISN where he served as a Navigating Officer and then joined the Metropolitan Police in London. I think that he left the force abt. 1956/7.
I have no idea what  he did after that until the year before married my mother. I know that he was very keen on golf with a handicap of 4.

He was not fond of the French. I think there is a possibility he was at Le Touqet either as a spectator, or, as a competitor in some event.
I would invite anyone to provide we with some tips as how I might go about checking this theory out, especially if they were knowledgeable about golf
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery postcard ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 January 21 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Not at all knowledgeable about golf.

But Le Touquet certainly has extensive golf!  Maybe Peter was a on a golfing holiday there?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery postcard ?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 21 17:04 GMT (UK) »
do not know.

I think that I recall him talking about Andorra in a way that implied he he had been there, perhaps enroute  or returning to Spain but I am by no means certain. I know when he left school and some of his BISN Record, or rather his Seaman’s Pouch I got from the National Archives at Kew several years ago.
I feel that it may be incomplete as it does not mention some of the ships that he served on, judging by the stories that he told.
Though, the point of this post is to try and discover what he was doing after he left the Mets. Abt. 1957. memories give me the impression that he may have been a van driver.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise