Author Topic: More Lockdown.........  (Read 4242 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: More Lockdown.........
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 14:58 GMT (UK) »

The Covid Okie..................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vnje78tEO0

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Boris Johnson to speak again at 5pm.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Looks like it's just a press conference with Whitty et al rather than a change of plan.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 20:12 GMT (UK) »

Looks as if this one will last until February half term at least, so 19th February. Maybe by then a lot of us will have had at the first dose of the vaccine and things will start looking better - well that's what Boris said. I just wish I could believe him, but there have been so many promises and U-turns.

Nicola Sturgeon, a cautious politician, has refused to make promises on vaccination which may not be kept. As she said, it depends primarily on supplies of vaccines. The Scottish health minister said something similar in her statement about vaccination in December. A sentence in that statement included "if" twice. There are so many "ifs", nothing is certain. Sturgeon said yesterday and today that she hoped most of those on the priority list would have had their 1st vaccination dose by the end of May.
My area was in Tier 4 from November until 11th December and returned to Tier 4 at 1 minute into Boxing Day and now lockdown.   
Cowban

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Sturgeon said yesterday and today that she hoped most of those on the priority list would have had their 1st vaccination dose by the end of May.

That's a lot later than Johnson is saying, he keeps mentioning February, which doesn't seem that realistic to me. They said on the news that means England would have to vaccinate at 2 million a week to achieve that.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 22:20 GMT (UK) »
  He never seems to learn about the "over-promising" does he?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I've just been reading a post on fb from a tourism/heritage site owner.

They are closing the heritage gardens and takeaway outlets at some point later this week. They are permitted to stay open as the gardens could be used for exercise BUT as it's a rural location, there aren't enough local people to warrant it staying open and they wish to discourage people travelling.

They are however keeping the onsite garden centre and shop/takeaway outlets open to visitors.

I see a bald spot coming from all the head scratching I'm doing over this one. 

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 22:37 GMT (UK) »
What is very depressing is that SAGE advisor Chris Whitty has announced there may be further restrictions next winter. What a time to announce that.  people are having to dig deep to get through lockdown 3, and then he has to put the boot in. There may well have to be lockdown or restrictions next winter, but did he have to announce that today? For god's sake give us some hope that we may one day experience life as we used to know it!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Top-of-the-hill and groom. I prefer to take notice of medical and scientific people.
 There was a long interview on "Inside Medicine" Radio 4 tonight with Neil Ferguson. Basically, if I understood him, given the increased infectivity of the new strain, 80%-90% of people on the priority list need to be vaccinated + the virus needs to be kept under control in the community (R rate below 1) before the danger of overwhelming pressure on hospitals will ease. Restrictions can then be gradually and cautiously eased. Emphasis on gradual and cautious. Some measures may have to be re-imposed next autumn and winter, depending on how C-19 is behaving and on vaccination rates. The virus will eventually become endemic like flu. 
There are 9 categories on the priority list. Includes everyone over 50; vulnerable people under 50; health & care staff.
Scotland is reckoned to be a month behind London & S.E. England with infections. Delayed opening to new school term had been announced before Christmas holiday. It's now been extended to 6 weeks.
I didn't vote for either leader and never will. However, I have no doubt which one I prefer in this situation, a cautious politician who tells it like it is and doesn't try to sugar the pill.   
Cowban