Author Topic: More Lockdown.........  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: More Lockdown.........
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 23:38 GMT (UK) »
  He never seems to learn about the "over-promising" does he?

No he doesn't. He wants everybody to like him. He said lockdown till February 15th. Next day Gove says middle of March at the least.  He was desperate for us to have a family Christmas, in spite of all  science advice saying no. And he always plays the victim - "I hate to tell you this", "It pains me to tell you this", "I am struggling to tell you this". Well, how do you think we feel Boris?   

All his time in public life he was always the big ideas man. But short on how to fulfil them. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Online cuffie81

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Sturgeon said yesterday and today that she hoped most of those on the priority list would have had their 1st vaccination dose by the end of May.

That's a lot later than Johnson is saying, he keeps mentioning February, which doesn't seem that realistic to me. They said on the news that means England would have to vaccinate at 2 million a week to achieve that.

Phase I of the vaccination programme (currently) consists of 9 priority groups, totalling about 25m people. Johnson referred to vaccinating the first 4 of these groups by mid February, which consists of about 13m people. Others in government and the health services have referred to vaccinating all people in all 9 groups by 'spring' or 'late spring'.

My assumption is that Sturgeon is referring to the full 9 groups, and is probably trying to temper expectations re. the date.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 00:02 GMT (UK) »
What is very depressing is that SAGE advisor Chris Whitty has announced there may be further restrictions next winter. What a time to announce that.  people are having to dig deep to get through lockdown 3, and then he has to put the boot in. There may well have to be lockdown or restrictions next winter, but did he have to announce that today? For god's sake give us some hope that we may one day experience life as we used to know it!

Chris Whitty isn't a member of SAGE. He is the Chief Medical Officer for England. He's also a practising doctor. He intended to spend his Christmas break on duty in hospital. He tells the truth. He's not a politician. Jonathan Van Tam, Deputy CMO is another truth-teller. Sometimes they've had to counter unfounded optimism of politicians.
Neil Ferguson, former SAGE member said the same thing today.
None of them would have won a "Most cheerful boy in the class" prize.
Summer 2021 should provide a period of relief.
Might be better for individual members of the public not to try to look too far ahead if the horizon is obscured by mist. Remind oneself that the horizon is still there and there is something beyond it.   

Cowban

Online cuffie81

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 00:19 GMT (UK) »
  He never seems to learn about the "over-promising" does he?

No he doesn't. He wants everybody to like him. He said lockdown till February 15th. Next day Gove says middle of March at the least.  He was desperate for us to have a family Christmas, in spite of all  science advice saying no. And he always plays the victim - "I hate to tell you this", "It pains me to tell you this", "I am struggling to tell you this". Well, how do you think we feel Boris?   

All his time in public life he was always the big ideas man. But short on how to fulfil them. 

Regards 

Chas

Johnson's statement wasn't exactly explicit about when the lockdown would be lifted.

Prime Minister's address to the nation: 4 January 2021
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/prime-ministers-address-to-the-nation-4-january-2021

By the middle of February, if things go well and with a fair wind in our sails, we expect to have offered the first vaccine dose to everyone in the four top priority groups identified by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation.

I must stress that even if we achieve this goal, there remains a time lag of two to three weeks from getting a jab to receiving immunity.

And there will be a further time lag before the pressure on the NHS is lifted.

So we should remain cautious about the timetable ahead.

But if our understanding of the virus doesn’t change dramatically once again…

If the rollout of the vaccine programme continues to be successful…

If deaths start to fall as the vaccine takes effect…

And, critically, if everyone plays their part by following the rules…

Then I hope we can steadily move out of lockdown, reopening schools after the February half term and starting, cautiously, to move regions down the tiers.

He referred to re-opening schools in mid February but his reference to moving out of lockdown was (loosely) after the four top groups had been vaccinated (~mid Feb), plus '2 or 3 weeks' after, plus some 'lag' before pressure is lifted on the NHS. And he also added the caveat 'if deaths fall'.

He was vague enough that it could be interpreted as any date from mid Feb onwards.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 00:24 GMT (UK) »

My assumption is that Sturgeon is referring to the full 9 groups, and is probably trying to temper expectations re. the date.

Yes and yes.
Today she declined to echo Johnson's February expectation for the first 4 categories as she said it's dependent on supplies of vaccine to end of January, quantities of which cannot be presently guaranteed.
Matt Hancock, interviewed on "Today" on Monday declined to give target figures for vaccinations.   
Cowban

Online cuffie81

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 00:28 GMT (UK) »

It looks like Sturgeon's comments are in reference to the full 9 groups in Phase I.

BBC News
Covid: Nicola Sturgeon says Scotland hopes to accelerate vaccine rollout
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55545087

The Scottish NHS hopes to vaccinate everyone over the age of 50 and younger people with underlying health conditions by the start of May.

If the target is achieved, it would mean 2.7 million people - about half of the population - will have had the jab.

It would then be rolled out to the rest of the adult population.

But Nicola Sturgeon said that timetable was a "cautious prediction", and the aim was to accelerate the rollout "as fast as we possibly can" as more details about supply became available.

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 01:18 GMT (UK) »
I know a lot can't abide Sturgeon but she is realistic and looks further ahead than Boris. I don't follow every detail of every announcement from either of them but Boris wins hands down when it comes to total opposite messages within hours of each other.
Always looking for the Goulson surname in the UK, Europe and USA.

Online groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I would rather be told, ‘Lock down until the end of March’  and then be told at the end of February that things are going well and they can start lifting restrictions. Much better than being told ‘Lock down until the middle of February’ then being told ‘Sorry we have to extend it until he end of March’.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma's 1920 School Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 12:43 GMT (UK) »
What is very depressing is that SAGE advisor Chris Whitty has announced there may be further restrictions next winter. What a time to announce that.  people are having to dig deep to get through lockdown 3, and then he has to put the boot in. There may well have to be lockdown or restrictions next winter, but did he have to announce that today? For god's sake give us some hope that we may one day experience life as we used to know it!

Chris Whitty isn't a member of SAGE. He is the Chief Medical Officer for England. He's also a practising doctor. He intended to spend his Christmas break on duty in hospital. He tells the truth. He's not a politician. Jonathan Van Tam, Deputy CMO is another truth-teller. Sometimes they've had to counter unfounded optimism of politicians.
Neil Ferguson, former SAGE member said the same thing today.
None of them would have won a "Most cheerful boy in the class" prize.
Summer 2021 should provide a period of relief.
Might be better for individual members of the public not to try to look too far ahead if the horizon is obscured by mist. Remind oneself that the horizon is still there and there is something beyond it.   

Professor and Dr Chris Whitty, Chief Medical Officer for England is probably giving the most realistic opinion of the dreadful situation, UK, Europe and the World is in right now.

I wish he was my GP!

My Wife says he was on duty at a London Hospital over Christmas.

There is a stack of Covid-19 Scientific information (Some Preprint, some Peer Reviewed) on the US Centers for Disease Control web Reports and/or lodged with US Medical Libraries. Also interesting information from Spain and Italy. See also the British Medical Journal and the Lancet.
 -----------
Excessive sugar in diets and treats of healthy people is aiding Covid-19 in the body and leading to some Severe Covid-19 outcomes.

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/inflammation-the-key-factor-that-explains-vulnerability-to-severe-covid/

Scientists were saying Severe Covid-19 was leaving some people with Diabetes, but some Scientists now seem to believe that unhelpful sugar is being retained in the body of those affected.

Search internet "Covid-19" with the word "Glucose" or "Sugar", and search out the Scientific Reports and official Scientific Magazines if you want the detail.

Mark