Author Topic: Isabella Watson, Addingham  (Read 342 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Isabella Watson, Addingham
« on: Monday 04 January 21 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Isabella Watson was born in Glasgow in 1850, third child and first daughter of William Watson and Jean MacMillan. When she was 8 or 9, her family moved to Addingham when her father got a job as manager of a spinning mill. He later bought into Lister's of Manningham Mills in Bradford and was the first of four generations of William Watsons to be managing directors of Lister and Co Ltd.

I have reams of information (some of it based on https://bradfordunconsideredtrifles.wordpress.com/manningham-mill-people/) about her brothers William and Joseph and their descendants, but I'm struggling to find Isabella's death.

In 1911 she was still unmarried and living in Addingham with her widowed father (who died the following year) her sister Margaret, Margaret's husband James Harrison and their daughter Jeanie MacMillan Harrison.

She was aged 3 months in 1851, 8 in 1861, 18 in 1871, 27 in 1881, 42 in 1901 and 50 in 1911. (I haven't found them yet in 1891).

There is a death of Isabella Watson in 1923, registered in Skipton, but she was allegedly only 68; if this is the one I am looking for she would have been 72. On the other hand she has a long history of her age being wrong.

On the other hand, a Miss Watson was listed first among the mourners at the funeral of Isabella's brother William in 1925, who could have been either his daughter Elizabeth or his sister Isabella.

I have not found a probate record, or a death announcement in the British Newspaper Archive, or anything on FindaGrave.

Does anyone have access to, for example, MIs in Addingham Churchyard, where her mother was buried and presumably also her father? Or any other suggestions where to look to see if she is the Isabella Watson I am looking for?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Watson, Addingham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Isabella Watson aged 72
Burial 20 July 1923   Addingham, St Peter, Yorkshire
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Just incase you have not found them on the 1891 census possibility
Address Buck House Main Street Addington Yorkshire
William Watson age 65 b Scotland ( silk spinner & manufacturer )
Jean Watson age 64 b Scotland
Isabella Watson age 34 b Scotland
Margaret Watson age 31 b Scotland
Annie Wilkinson age 23 b Addingham ( servant)

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 19:48 GMT (UK) »
From the burial information Carole has posted for Isabella
There is this burial for William Watson 11 May 1912 age 88 years
Jeanie Watson burial 26 December 1894 no age recorded
St Peter Addingham Yorkshire

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie. That just about completes the picture.

Except for the intriguing question of why there seems to be no death/obituary or probate for William. As he was managing director of Lister and Co of Manningham Mills, I expected to find something about him, but the BNA has produced nothing.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes I thought it a bit strange also that there was no probate for him also

Rosie