Author Topic: Newcastle Chambers of Commerce.  (Read 364 times)

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newcastle Chambers of Commerce.
« on: Tuesday 05 January 21 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, some time in 90s? The Newcastle Chambers of Commerce was opened, inside the building foyer a largish model ship was on display, at some time it was stolen and I wondered if this model ship was ever recovered.
The ship was the Wentworth a merchant ship, my late father sailed on her in Atlantic convoy ONS5 1943 UK to St Johns Nova Scotia, it was attacked along with several other merchant ships between 5-6 May.
Always wondered if police ever recovered the m8del ship.
All the best.
Derek.
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Chambers of Commerce.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest contacting the place it was stolen from to see if they have any information.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 21 11:35 BST (UK) »
Was looking at old newspapers, saw this and remembered your post.

Have tried searching but can't find anything that says they were recovered. Though if they were, I assume they would have been legitimately auctioned off by the receivers :-)

Newcastle Evening Chronicle 07 Oct 1994

page 12 col 2

Cheeky pair pose as men from the recievers to escape with two valuable vessels

Thieves steal models

Thieves posed as receivers from striken Swan Hunter - to steal a pair of valuable models of ships built at the Wallsend yard.
The models of the cargo vessel Trewidden and the SS Wentworth were on loan from Swan Hunter at the Tyne and Wear Chamber of Commerce offices on Newcastle Quayside.
But a man claiming to be from Swans receivers rang and said he would be collecting them to sell off at an auction.
He arrived several days later with an accomplice and took the two models worth £5,500 from unsuspecting staff.
It was only when the receivers later called at the office that the theft was discovered, said police who appealed for help in finding the models.
The model of the Trewidden is 61ins long and is in a brass display case, while the Wentworth is 51ins long, housed in a mahogany case.

Boo

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 21 12:41 BST (UK) »
Boo thank you for reply, i hope ship models were recovered at some time, it would be sad to think they would be broken up if they could not be sold on after theft.
I dont know any thing about other merchant ship but SS Wentworth sailed in convoy ONS 5 April 1943,  the battle for this convoy was a turning point in the battle of the Atlantic, after convoy ONS5 Atlantic the German U-boats never again dominated the convoy wars, yes we did lose ships in convoys but never the same amount as pre-1943.
All the best to all.
Derek
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.