Author Topic: Edward John and Mary Louisa Pullen. Can anyone find where they went circa 1900  (Read 852 times)

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello Rootschatters.

Thank goodness lockdown doesn’t upset family research much!

I have hit a dead end with this couple. Maybe someone out there has the time and inclination and greater expertise than me to solve it. I’d be eternally grateful.

Here’s what I know:

John Edward Pullen was born to John Edward and Louisa Jane Pullen on 21 Mar 1871, the 4th of 11 children. He was baptised in St Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey, Southwark, London on 1 Dec 1875. Ancestry has an image of the baptism record, which helpfully also gives the 21 Mar 1871 birth date in an annotation, so I am 100% confident about these dates. Interestingly, three of John Edward’s siblings were baptised on the same day.

In the 1891 census he is an Engine Cleaner aged 20 living with his parents at 334 East St, Walworth, Southwark. Later that same year, on 29 Nov 1891 he marries in St Stephen’s Church, Walworth, London. An image of the marriage certificate is available on Ancestry. His bride was Mary Louisa Smith, a spinster age 18, father ‘William (deceased)’. I have found nothing else about her. Ancestry has a 1900 St Saviour, Southwark workhouse record for one “Mary Louisa Pullen”, of the right age, (born 1873) with, it seems, two children William John (b. 24 Sep 1891) and Francis (b. 22 Nov 1893) but I have not been able to convince myself these are the ‘correct’ folk (no entries in GRO or FreeBMD or anywhere else for either child).

After that I have, strangely, found absolutely nothing – no children, no census entry, no death records. The only scrap is an employment record stating John Edward was taken on at Willow Walk train depot in Feb 1900, but he left without notice on 22 Feb 1900.

Maybe they emigrated…

There are numerous Ancestry Public trees that include John Edward, but, like me, they draw a blank after 1900. Hence if anyone can make some progress on this couple they would be helping more than just me.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward John and Mary Louisa Pullen. Can anyone find where they went circa 1900
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Birth of Francis
PULLEN, FRANCIS  STEPHEN HENRY    
Mother's Maiden Surname: SMITH 
GRO Reference: 1894  M Quarter in CAMBERWELL  Volume 01D  Page 978

William?
SMITH, WILLIAM  JOHN     
Mother's Maiden Surname:
GRO Reference: 1891  S Quarter in CAMBERWELL  Volume 01D  Page 845

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward John and Mary Louisa Pullen. Can anyone find where they went circa 1900
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Baptism, 1 October 1891, Camberwell St Giles
William John
mother Mary Louisa Smith, an Upholstress
abode Workhouse
born 24th September 1891

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. Why didn't I find that. I have been looking hard!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I guess it was a bit unexpected. Mary and John married soon after William was born.
The two boys were discharged from the workhouse 10 January 1891, to Hanwell Schools. So I guess that's the next place to look.
Mary Pullen discharged 17 Jan 1891, "Permission of Committee"
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 21:22 GMT (UK) »
The boys are at Hanwell in the 1901 census.
Central London District Schools
Francis Stephen
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X96D-6M9

William John Pullen there, presumably his brother, but has been enumerated as 4 years old
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X96D-818

Another record of their going to Hanwell from Southwark, but doesn't say when they left
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS2G-1QK6-V

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 January 21 20:41 GMT (UK) »
jonw65

Thanks so much for this. I have confirmed and added into my tree the info you unearthed. I also read up on the Hanwell ('Cuckoo') School and about how Charlie Chaplin and his brother spent time there.

I have also now found Mary Louisa Pullen in the 1901 census (Mary Pullen, boarder, 27, in Newington, Southwark) and also in Tooting Bec Mental Hospital in the 1939 Register. I'm still hunting for her death info.

What I'm really stuck on now is what happened to the father/husband, John Edward Pullen, born 21 Mar 1871, St Saviour, Southwark. I can find nothing after an electoral register entry in 1900. He may have died, but I can find no death info, so I'm wondering if he emigrated. Frustratingly I only pay for UK sources on Ancestry, not worldwide. Could you maybe have a peek and see if you can turn anything up....? Apologies for this cheeky request!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 January 21 22:30 GMT (UK) »
There's a JOhn Edward Pullen b c 1872 working for the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway at Willow Walk station as a loader. Joined Feb 1900, left without notice 12/2/1900

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 January 21 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have that record. It is the last piece of info I have on him. His father and several brothers worked at the same Bricklayers Arms / Willow Walk depot around that time.