Author Topic: Where was (in the London/Middlesex area) James Edward CARVER in the 1891 Census?  (Read 323 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
I was wondering whether anyone could help me discover the whereabouts of a James Edward CARVER in the 1891 Census.  In the 1871 he's in Twickenham with his wife Catherine and three small children.  In the 1881 he's recently widowed, his wife having died the previous year, with children Anna B, 13, Thomas A.B., 12, James A, 7, and Amelia R.B aged 9 months.  His sister Eliza, annuitant, aged 56, is also in the household.  James E. was born either in Norwich or in (Potter?) Heigham, certainly in Norfolk in about 1845.  He was in the sewing machine business.
In 1896 in Whitechapel he marries an Emily Mills, and 3 or 4 years later they "adopted" my grandmother.
So, I imagine with a surname such as CARVER his whereabouts in the 1891 may have simply been obscured by a mistranscription.
Many thanks in advance,
Keith

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where was (in the London/Middlesex area) James Edward CARVER in the 1891 Census?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 08:50 GMT (UK) »
15 Brownswood Road, Hornsey

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/6598/images/MDXRG12_1064_1066-0367

Ancestry has transcribed the name as Conver.

FindMyPast has it as Carder https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBC/1891/0008080469

The Genealogist has it correctly transcribed as Carver. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where was (in the London/Middlesex area) James Edward CARVER in the 1891 Census?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Shaun!
Thanks so much for swiftly unravelling the mystery whereabouts of James Edward CONVER/CARDER/CARVER for me in early April 1891.  Enough aliases to be going on with for the rest of his life.  Well done The Genealogist, anyway...
Keith

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
To be fair to FindMyPast the 'v' could be mistaken for a 'd', the transcriber obviously did not look at the other d's on the page as they would have known they had got it wrong. 

On the plus side with FindMyPast they will alter the transcript if asked and not just add it as an alternative surname.  :)

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Rosie!
I expect there already are discussions somewhere on here about the pros and cons of Ancestry v Find My Past.  Whether one is better than the other, or better value for money.  Have heard that Ancestry are not quite so forthcoming about making changes if mistakes are brought to their attention...
Keith

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

There certainly are plenty of discussions on the pro's and cons of those online sites. 

Still it gives us a challenge to locate some of these people, we must keep the grey matter working.   ;D

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 17:38 GMT (UK) »
hi Keith

James Edward son of Thomas & Ruth Carver baptised 11 May 1845 (born 3rd January) fathers occupation Printer, at Heigham in City of Norwich. (Norfolk BT’s)

James Edward Carver mmn shown as Roach on GRO site.

John Triggs married Ruth Roach 24 April 1832 in Lakenham.

Possible death for John Triggs Dec 1837 Norwich.

Thomas Carver and Ruth Triggs have same BMD ref of Jun 1838.

Family search have more baptisms for children of Thomas and Ruth.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 18:10 GMT (UK) »
The Yokel,
Thanks very much for providing all that useful info on James Edward CARVER.  I hadn't realised that Heigham was part of the City of Norwich.  Thought when I saw it in the Census that it might refer to Potter Heigham, which is some way away on the Norfolk Broads.
Bizarrely, or not, with his mother being of the TRIGGS family, his first marriage was to someone called Lucy Catherine BRIGGS.  Bit of a rhyming couple(t)!
Anyway, he remarried 16 years after the early demise of Lucy Catherine, in 1896 to an Emily MILLS.  She was in her mid-forties by then and this may have been one of the reasons why Emily wanted to adopt my grandmother as a 4 or 5 year old...
Keith