Author Topic: What is helping you through this?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What is helping you through this?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 January 21 14:55 GMT (UK) »
For the smell alone, Oxtail cooked in Onions & Guinness!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 January 21 15:36 GMT (UK) »
I bought a slow cooker and have been experimenting.
There is a supermarket at either end of my road so it was always easy to nip out and get something for tea at 5pm. Haven't been in either since March so cooking style has completely changed. The only problem with a slow cooker is that the smell taunts you all day until dinnertime  ;D

I did lamb casserole this week ;D
Planning on braised ox-cheek next week; probably in red wine?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 January 21 22:53 GMT (UK) »
I've been very grateful for my U3A groups that have continued on Zoom. I had been to one ukulele session before lockdown but we have carried on online weekly thanks to an enthusiastic leader & committed bunch of people. We have a chunter about things in between songs.
I joined an Italian beginners group a few months ago which is also going well, we meet fortnightly online
And just before Christmas I volunteered to help another group who were struggling - I felt I had some skills that could help them. We meet online fortnightly too.
My U3A art group has been taking a topic every so often and producing something along that theme which the leader emails to us all.

My cousin who lives in a different area meets online with her U3A book club and a couple of others.

Many members aren't comfortable with online meeting but it's amazing how many have been willing to try unfamiliar technology in the last few months.

If you haven't tried U3A, do google it - I guarantee there will be a branch local to you - & locally as well as nationally there are lots of things still going on.

Pat

King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 January 21 00:37 GMT (UK) »

I joined an Italian beginners group a few months ago which is also going well, we meet fortnightly online
And just before Christmas I volunteered to help another group who were struggling - I felt I had some skills that could help them. We meet online fortnightly too.

If you haven't tried U3A, do google it - I guarantee there will be a branch local to you - & locally as well as nationally there are lots of things still going on.

Also check out Futurelearn, online education short courses. Vast variety of topics including history, science, culture, languages, family history, health, psychology + career development. They are led by university tutors. Some are introduction to topics. The basic ones take up 2-4 hours per week (whenever it suits) and last around 6 weeks.
A woman in my neighbourhood has this week set up a "self-led" Covid-safe walk & talk group in the park for people who are feeling isolated. People who want to take part (or someone on their behalf) join a new closed Facebook group. I'm thinking of joining. I think the plan is to walk in pairs. Main path is wide; can go single file on narrow paths and step off onto grass if needed.
RSPB Big Birdwatch is at end of January. I've done it at home and in park depending on weather. I do nature-spotting throughout year in garden, park and on walks. May be different birds around due to freeze. Findings can be sent to organisations for their records, e.g. 1st bumblebee or butterfly seen each year.

Cowban

Offline karen58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 January 21 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,
I'm from Brisbane Australia and have been using the West Riding Board for a number of years. You have helped me enormously and am grateful for all you have done.

I hope this doesn't sound overweening, but we here in Australia have been watching the British news reports and thinking of you all.

So I hope this helps you get through this because your Aussie cousins truly care.

Stay safe and warm.

Sincerely Karen
Platts & Scholefields; Saddleworth
Winterbottoms; Saddleworth and Huddersfield
Pitchforths; Halifax and Huddersfield

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 January 21 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes zoom groups are wonderful I did  chair yoga on Thurs ..hope I can remember the technique to practice til next session.
It made me feel good .

Duo .whatsapp etc having face time also part of feeling closer when separated by miles or rules
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 January 21 19:56 GMT (UK) »

So I hope this helps you get through this because your Aussie cousins truly care.

Stay safe and warm.

Thanks, Karen, for your good wishes.
Coldest January here (SW Scotland where winters are usually mild & stormy) for a decade. Kids have been skating and some playing ice hockey on the pond in park. They look too young to remember last time it froze; they may not have been born then. Roads and pavements slippy. Freezing fog 1 day. Just as well there are fewer people travelling to work and school.
Cowban

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 January 21 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Coldest January here (SW Scotland where winters are usually mild & stormy) for a decade. Kids have been skating and some playing ice hockey on the pond in park.

As a former ice-hockey referee - heartily approve! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 January 21 21:53 GMT (UK) »
KGarrad. Local ice rinks closed by govt. order. Ice rinks classed as entertainment venues. They may not survive the closures. Figure skating, ice hockey and curling are all sports.
Outdoor ice not thick enough for curling.
Cowban