Author Topic: WW2 1942 Addressed Envelopes Found - Addressed to W. HOLLAND - Help Appreciated  (Read 457 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 1942 Addressed Envelopes Found - Help Appreciated
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Might I suggest that you include the serviceman's name in the title of the post, if anyone is researching this Family it will be picked by a Google search which will bring them here. You do this by using the "Modify" button.
Good Luck!
 Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Devon_bloke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 1942 Addressed Envelopes Found - Help Appreciated
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Might I suggest that you include the serviceman's name in the title of the post, if anyone is researching this Family it will be picked by a Google search which will bring them here. You do this by using the "Modify" button.
Good Luck!
 Carol
Thanks @Treetotal. I wasn't sure whether I should include the name, but I'll have a crack at changing the title to include [Gunner?] W. Holland (if I've read that right).

It could be that this person's last three numbers is 142. Tne Army traditionally uses a soldier's last three in references. So maybe this was 142 Gunner W. Holland, of The Honourable Artillery Company (or not). Pure speculation and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 1942 Addressed Envelopes Found - Addressed to W. HOLLAND - Help Appreciated
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I think this chap was in 142nd (Royal Devon Yeomanry) Field Regiment, RA

"At the outbreak of the war, 142nd Field Regiment was also part of 45th Division. Initially commanding two batteries 383 from Torrington and 384 from South Molton "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Devon_Yeomanry
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Devon_bloke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 1942 Addressed Envelopes Found - Addressed to W. HOLLAND - Help Appreciated
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I think this chap was in 142nd (Royal Devon Yeomanry) Field Regiment, RA

"At the outbreak of the war, 142nd Field Regiment was also part of 45th Division. Initially commanding two batteries 383 from Torrington and 384 from South Molton "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Devon_Yeomanry
Wow that is brilliant, thankyou very much for your very kind help.

DB