Author Topic: Grandfather’s war records help  (Read 819 times)

Offline lynnebro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandfather’s war records help
« on: Wednesday 06 January 21 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My grandfather’s records are attached.

I need help with
1. Working out all the movements
2. I believe from the dates he was in the WS7 convoy via SAfrica. I would love for him to have been in the Durban section of the convoy, but I think the India bound ships went to Cape Town ( I have a visited Durban a few times with work).
3.There is a huge gap in entries, I am presuming he was with 1st KORR in North Africa.
4 I am aware of his injury - links to sinking of the Princess Marguerite Troopship from Port Said to Famagusta in Cyprus
5. I know he was in Italy, but am not sure if he was back with his regiment. There is a record saying he embarked for an unknown destination ( probably not as intriguing as I think).
 6.Finally, I know it mentions being granted leave to Uk, but does he then go back to Italy?

Too many questions, but I thought I’d put them all down.

Huge thanks for any extra information

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfather’s war records help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 15:14 GMT (UK) »
The most significant thing about his service is that after the Aug 42 hospitalisation he didn't return to his "parent" regiment.  After the Driving and Maintenance course Sep/Nov 42 he was posted to HQ 8th Army where he stayed until he began the discharge process (he didn't go back to Italy) in mid 1945.

The staff of a headquarters in the field was made up of officers and men from almost every regiment under the sun.  They wore the uniform of their "parent" unit and their records were administered by them and in hiis case it is a question of knowing where HQ 8th Army was while he was with them  Such a HQ had more than one element, you will see "rear HQ" in his record, they also had a "main" and a forward (or tactical).

In outline then he appears to have been with 1KORR until mid 42 when, perhaps as a result of the wounding, he was re-trained as a driver and then employed with 8th Army HQ essentially for the remainder of his service.  (the unknown destination in Aug 43 is seen a lot in relation to the invasion of Sicily).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline lynnebro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Max
Thank you for the detailed analysis. I had thought he was separated from his regiment, but didn’t realise it lasted throughout the rest of the campaign.  I don’t suppose I’ll ever find out where about he was in Italy, though he did have a rosary and I believe he visited the catacombs , so could have been Rome, Naples or Palermo.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 17:41 GMT (UK) »
While it would not be beyond the wit of man to trace where HQ 8th Army was in the relevant time frames, we don't know what element of the HQ he belonged to.   I was able to find the Christmas 1943 order of battle of Tac HQ  showing 14 officers and 197 NCOs and men.  This element is by far the smallest element, Rear HQ, which looked after supplies generally speaking, was enormous.
You may get some joy from thishttp://www.warfaremagazine.co.uk/reviews/the-men-behind-monty--the-staff-and-hqs-of-eighth-army-and-21st-army-group/144/

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 20:02 GMT (UK) »
You might like to separate out the query about his convoy to another post with the heading specifically related to convoy matters.  This may then attract the attention of those on the forum who know about these things

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline lynnebro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I will separate the convoy info, thanks for the advice. I’ve also bought a book recommend by the article about Montgomery and his men- including lower ranks. One thing I was told by my Mum, was that my grandfather was with Montgomery. I always took that as a loose comment. Thanks again

Offline lynnebro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 January 21 07:34 GMT (UK) »
I have added some images from his release book. Do you have any ideas where the dates fit in? I presume he was released from Milan, but then confused by the reference written by Major attached to Austria camp

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 21 10:44 GMT (UK) »
The rubber stamps are not easily read in the images you have posted.  What are you reading on the stamp next to the Nov 1945 date?  I don't see "Austria Camp" anywhere.

Worth noting that the release procedure took place over a period of time and the dates on records appear at different stages of the process.  His record shows he left Milan for UK on 7 Dec 1945 arriving home on 10 Dec 1945.  The 25 Nov 1945 reference was simply written at a late stage of the his time in Italy.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 January 21 11:04 GMT (UK) »
It does look like "Austria"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk