Author Topic: Toilet Rolls Again  (Read 891 times)

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Toilet Rolls Again
« on: Wednesday 06 January 21 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I manage my parents online shopping account which they share with a couple of neighbours who are also shielding.  Today I attempted to put 2 x 4 loo rolls packs in their basket only to be told it was limited to 1 of this type.  So I thought ok I’ll put in a larger pack and they can share them out.  Not possible either.  All the larger packs showing as out of stock. Obviously shops are worrying about panic buying again.😔

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Toilet Rolls Again
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I received a 9 pack in my online order/delivery this morning.  However substitutions for all things bread and also fish & seafood.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 13:25 GMT (UK) »
The only thing missing on my Sainsbury's order yesterday were granny smith apples.  No problems with toilet rolls or fish.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 January 21 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I was in Tesco yesterday and found whole sections of items missing although they did seem to have toilet rolls & paper towels- didn't pay attention to limit as I didn't need either. There was one frozen pizza in frozen section (not sure if it was a freezer issue since other food was in same half empty freezer). The last aisle was eggs (think there was a limit on how many), baking supplies (limit of 3 baking items before Christmas but didn't notice yesterday). No lime jelly (got raspberry instead), no Mr. Kipling lemon slices (or very few other Mr. Kipling items). Couldn't find the cottge cheese (or any staff in dairy section to ask) but luckily found ricotta marked down (that day's date) which will go into lasagna I'm putting together this evening. I'm not doing grocery shopping that often but have noticed since December that what I think is a short, simple shopping list with common, everyday items has at least 3, 4 or more items which I didn't get.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 January 21 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Think this disruption by Brexit rather than covid in most places.  More paperwork now and the ports clogged up just prior to chrristmas has eaten into stocks.

Hopefully not too long-lasting though once the supply chains are sorted out.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 January 21 14:58 GMT (UK) »
As mentioned in the diary thread, my grocery order arrived yesterday with two substitutions for items I've been ordering for months without any problem - instead of a large carton of milk I received two smaller ones. Produced and bottled in the UK. Instead of my orange juice with bits I received the smooth orange juice. No doubt the oranges are grown abroad but I had no problem with the actual oranges I'd ordered. This smacks of stockpiling rather than anything to do with Brexit.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 January 21 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Funny I would have thought Brexit.

With the milk I often order 2 x 2pts rather than a 4pt cos its much easier to store in fridge being in smaller containers - and with our family we each drink a different colour milk so have red, green and blue on the go all the time.  The door will only hold 3 x 2pts so prefer the smaller ones.  What I'm really meaning to say is I prefer to order what you think of as only being available as the result of stockpiling, so that probably applies to other things too.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 January 21 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I've noticed a few shortages, nothing vital - but I'm blaming Brexit!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 January 21 15:29 GMT (UK) »
My Sainsbury’s delivery today contained everything I ordered, no substitutes. When I made my order last week Bovril was out of stock, but was back  in by the time I amended my order yesterday.

I don’t know why people panic buy toilet rolls, all Sainsbury’s and Andrex are produced in the Uk.  30%of toilet rolls are manufactured in Manchester.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.