Author Topic: Toilet Rolls Again  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Toilet Rolls Again
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 January 21 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes, JM, I believe the shelves are empty despite people still being able to go supermarket shopping during lockdown.  >:( Supermarkets limiting purchases of the usual essentials like toilet paper, chicken, eggs, etc etc.....  ::)

The most astounding thing is that the minute the lockdown was announced, people jumped in their cars and left the region, possibly taking any virus with them. Anyone who was in the Brisbane area (I think since Jan 2) is supposed to lockdown and stay home for three days, but anyone who bolts isn’t going to be doing that. Disgusting behaviour.

The lockdown is initially for three days but I suspect that will be extended.

Lockdown is due to ONE case of a hotel quarantine cleaner testing positive for the UK variant of covid. That person had previously tested negative but was out in the community for several days while infectious before testing positive. That person has many close contacts, so the three days is supposedly to track and trace all of them ....)  :-\

This is the first positive case in the community for over 100 days (there have been some in hotel quarantine).

A raft of tighter restrictions regarding travel have also been introduced Australia wide. Not before time.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 January 21 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Exactly, Ruskie, definitely not before time. 

Three days ... so little time to actually stay at home on a two day weekend, and just one more day  after that..

Just to allow time for Qld health to reassemble an expanded team of tracers, refresh training and check, cross check, double check, e.g. all the info from those one on one phone tracings...

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 January 21 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes JM. I think they have found out enough, since this positive case first came to light just over 24 hours ago, to decide they need those days to concentrate on tracking and tracing. I also suspect there is more to it than the public has not yet been told about.

I feel sorry for anyone whose plans have been scuppered, as this has been hurriedly foisted upon us with no warning. I think it is the right thing to do though. How they are going to deal with the fools who have decided to spend the weekend out of the region, remains to be seen.  :-\

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 January 21 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I was born 1947 so I am now  around about the same age as my late Gran was when she was significant part iof my childhood.  I have all her own notes from her earliest involvement volunteering in the 1930s to help read, transcribe, index onto tickler cards, various NSW bdm records....  her Dad had been admin there pre WWI, .  Later generations rise higher up in that government instution.  But Gran had several strings to her bow.  She shared her life - stories with me on many an evening.

She had gone across to NZ especially to become a trained nurse ... the training there was , in her view,  best in the Empire ... followed Florence Nighingale traditions.... etc.... so when Spanish flu reached Sydney,  she handed the day to day care of het children over to Aunty,  who moved in, and Gran returned to front line door to door nursing...  strict hygiene, full head to toe change of outfit, burn it each night,get new head to toe uniform ... calico etc.   Photos of her masked,  gowned up head to toe, in side car  of motorbike at NSW library  :)

Warm to hot water,  simple soap, lather up, recite 'The twenty third psalm,' ... rinse off, do again... dry thoroughly.   Do NOT touch your face,  do not speak except softly, do not sing,  walk slowly to avoid bumping into others...  and stay at home, early to bed, read the books, start at top shelf ...  no fighting, 

Of course many other nurses volunteered too.  Gran said "all the Nightingale lasses got through without any infected"

Her lessons  to her children and their cousins and to later generations  continue to ring loud and clear.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.