Author Topic: George Fortune of Durham Light Infantry WW1  (Read 696 times)

Online BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
George Fortune of Durham Light Infantry WW1
« on: Wednesday 06 January 21 14:56 GMT (UK) »
 It`s amazing what can be found in a Charity Shop, but what a shame if these letters don`t reach any of their relatives.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/national/18985666.charity-seeks-help-find-family-first-world-war-love-letter-owner/

My mother had a telegram that my grandfather had sent from France, but no letters. Sadly, the telegram disappeared after she died. ( I think my father threw it out)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Fortune of Durham Light Infantry WW1
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 23:32 GMT (UK) »
I read that too, some relatives out there would most likely treasure these if they could be located.
I have rescued many items from charity shops, mainly named photos and found grateful descendants on Ancestry. I hope they are claimed.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 January 21 01:29 GMT (UK) »
It`s amazing what can be found in a Charity Shop, but what a shame if these letters don`t reach any of their relatives.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/national/18985666.charity-seeks-help-find-family-first-world-war-love-letter-owner/

My mother had a telegram that my grandfather had sent from France, but no letters. Sadly, the telegram disappeared after she died. ( I think my father threw it out)
There's a comment at the end of the story on that link, a relative.
So I'd hope he claimed them back

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 January 21 04:15 GMT (UK) »
From the CWGC site.

Son of Ralph and Lucy Fortune, of 21, Blakelock Terrace, West Hartlepool, Co. Durham; husband of Mary Fortune, of I, South Terrace, Southwick-on-Wear, Sunderland.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Online BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 January 21 15:05 GMT (UK) »
They have been given to the great grandson of Mary`s brother.

https://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/news/national/18994345.first-world-war-love-letters-found-charity-shop-reunited-family/

It transpires that the address on the letters no longer exists and Mary remarried. When her daughter died she didn`t have any descendants and her posessions were "got rid of" by neighbours.

How lovely that they are back in the family!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 21 15:43 GMT (UK) »
That's great news, back where they belong  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU