Author Topic: Gedmatch upload...what next  (Read 574 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Gedmatch upload...what next
« on: Wednesday 06 January 21 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Finally got round to uploading ? My mother's DNA results from ancestry to gedmatch

There was paging of reading and complicated options my cousin had to distant tutor me into where my file had gone and how to unzip
But eventually succeeded ...I think

It said download complete

He then did his own and got blocked because he hadn't got owners permission
Just not ticked right box I suppose
He said he's done it now

What I want to know now is how to use it

Will people see matches automatically .? Or do I need to transfer it to another site .

Has anyone here had good results with gedmatch

I didn't understand the options and it looks like some avoid payment s
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: Gedmatch upload...what next
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 January 21 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If you have uploaded your DNA to GEDmatch you should now have a "code" or ID number (for example mine is M105207) which is what people will ask you for if they want to compare your DNA with theirs.

However, once you have that code it means your profile is in the database and will appear in search results of one to many for example - you can search for all the people who match you in descending segment size order. The advantage of this site is that it is free and combines profiles of people who have tested on all the other sites.

You mention people avoiding payment - it's a free site! There are some extras you can pay for but there is no need to unless you particularly want to and certainly not until you are completely happy with all the free aspects of it. I occasionally pay for a month of Tier 1 but only if I know I'm going to have time to do lots of work on my DNA matches. Free access gives you all the details of your matches.

I would recommend having a look at some of the tutorials on YouTube - there are lots like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id7JJ1NoTNk and they get progressively more detailed. These videos can also be accessed via the site.

It is a fantastic site and can really help with DNA but needs a bit of getting used to.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 January 21 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much your explanation save me a lot of eye strain it's too much to make sense of
Cuz has sent link to a video so i.ll try and watch tomorrow

Only one question tho
If people search and find your code matches how do they contact you .

I will go back to the site ...if I can manouver thru the clicks and register find my code and send to people who've asked me in chat
May be easier to do on a video chat with him ..we worked quite well together to do it .

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 January 21 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much your explanation save me a lot of eye strain it's too much to make sense of
Cuz has sent link to a video so i.ll try and watch tomorrow

Only one question tho

I will go back to the site ...if I can manouver thru the clicks and register find my code and send to people who've asked me in chat
May be easier to do on a video chat with him ..we worked quite well together to do it .

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 January 21 19:28 GMT (UK) »
It can take about a day until your kit is processed and you can see that all your matches.

This blog contains helpful information
https://blog.genomelink.io/posts/how-to-use-gedmatch#:~:text=To%20begin%2C%20you%20must%20register,access%20different%20information%2C%20like%20GEDmatch.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 January 21 20:27 GMT (UK) »

People will see your email address next to your code and use that to contact you.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk