Author Topic: 70th foot - William Oakley  (Read 353 times)

Offline Jeff Guyett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
70th foot - William Oakley
« on: Wednesday 06 January 21 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the Parents of William OAKLEY born in Gibraltar 1833/1835
he Joined the 70th Foot as 13/14yo in 1847 service no2 543
I think he's Father may have also been William Oakley (and prob was in the Army also)
 he served 21 years (Indian & New Zealand)
Archive reference   BCHA
Record's year range   1834
Page   222
Line number   1 (Surname Ockley?)
Record set   British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms he was a Sergeant when discharged.
Hes Fatherin Law was a Willian Linsell also in the 70th (ser no 1461) and he married he 1st Daughter Sarah (he married in Manchester & she was born in Newry)

I found this on the 70th  foot for those interested
1843 England -Portsmouth to Manchester
1845 Ireland (based in Newry)
1849 India
1857 Sepoy rebellion: NW Frontier
1858 India
1861 New Zealand

I also found a List of Regiments  movements up to India
in a small booklet via wikipedia

thanks Jeff

GUYETT, GUYATT, OAKLEY, BIRD, MILLWARD, Hancey, SHORTLAND, GLASS, Hewitt, Fabian, OAKLEY, LINSELL, Stone. JEFFERY, SAUNDERS, DEWEY

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 70th foot - William Oakley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 January 21 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Gro Army Chaplains Birth Indices (1796 To 1880). On FindMyPast

Has a William Ockley baptised in 1834 on Gibraltar.

I believe you can order these via the GRO and so find the father at least.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 January 21 06:41 GMT (UK) »
I am on e reader, so cannot do live links, but I think 70th foot may have in in either New South Wales or Tasmania on tours as garrison in early to mid 1800s.  There should be WO records, and these may have been filmed as part of a major project involving NZ, Australia and UK public records offices (various names, sometimes as public libraries, back in 1940s) .... anyway, The national library of Australia has been digitizing the  many holdings in the Australian Joint Copying Project  .... many many many images . . There is a handbook to guide you through this.  And there's an RChat thread too.  It will be part of the resources board for Australia, and I am the original poster ... RChats search engine should bring it to the top of a search using those clues.

From there you could find muster and pay lists ....  which can name .. or should at least give numbers of dependants for the soldier and when that number changes .... giving clue as month and year for a baby's birth  ... so then look for where the tour battalion was stationed for a baptism ....

Good Luck, the research can be difficult at first, but once you have found one soldier,  you will find the task of looking easier to follow, and very interesting.

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jeff Guyett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 January 21 08:52 GMT (UK) »
This page show the movements of the 70th foot in the 1840's
GUYETT, GUYATT, OAKLEY, BIRD, MILLWARD, Hancey, SHORTLAND, GLASS, Hewitt, Fabian, OAKLEY, LINSELL, Stone. JEFFERY, SAUNDERS, DEWEY

Offline Jeff Guyett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 January 21 18:16 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has his obit (1898) in the W.Middlesex Gazette, that would be great