Author Topic: WW2 1942 Addressed Envelope Found in Ilfracombe Hotel - Addressed to W. HOLLAND  (Read 424 times)

Offline Devon_bloke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all. I have absolutely no idea who this person W. Holland is/was, but they seem to have been a member of the 86th (HAC) HAA Regiment RA (Honourable Artillery Company, Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment TA). This has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, and it may interest Devon residents or those connected to Ilfracombe.

Apologies if I shouldn't do this, but I am re-posting this here in case it jogs anyone's memory/interest.

I posted details in the Armed Forces forum today; link to thread:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=842426.9

Any interest/ info would be most welcome 👍

Cheers
DB

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 1942 Addressed Envelope Found in Ilfracombe Hotel - Addressed to W. HOLLAND
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 January 21 22:33 GMT (UK) »
This may have no relevance whatsoever but:
Using DoB 1917 +/- 5yrs there are 9 W. Hollands in the 1939 register within 5 miles of Bolton (The Postmark)  4 of them actually in Bolton
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline Devon_bloke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 1942 Addressed Envelope Found in Ilfracombe Hotel - Addressed to W. HOLLAND
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 January 21 13:24 GMT (UK) »
This may have no relevance whatsoever but:
Using DoB 1917 +/- 5yrs there are 9 W. Hollands in the 1939 register within 5 miles of Bolton (The Postmark)  4 of them actually in Bolton
@StintonLomas Thankyou for looking :) - those are compelling parameters.

It's really good of you to post that information. Obviously I should have signed up with a genealogy service; I will look into that. From what I can gather, the military service record will be with the MOD, or the Army Historical Disclosures Team. I wonder if this might also be useful for other newbies looking up WW2 service records.

Also, I see that The National Archives (UK) has a page of information about Second World War records; British army unit war diaries (1939-1945), most armed forces, and general war records, at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/second-world-war/.

Cheers.