Author Topic: birth and death records  (Read 2248 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: birth and death records
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 January 21 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It may read ak as

Being 'also known as' which in current parlance we use as AKA.

Use Control+ F in Chrome or Edge to locate an interesting paragraph about Robert SOOBY, the man Margaret was stated to be living with at the time of her death.

https://press-files.anu.edu.au/downloads/press/p74381/pdf/book.pdf

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 08 January 21 13:05 GMT (UK) »
JM...I think the word is Alias although no dot above the 'i'...are there any other 'i's to compare it with?

Sue...From the snippet on Sooby, it at least confirms Margaret to have been a widow, (assuming) she was the 'woman' referred to?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jasonm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 January 21 21:52 GMT (UK) »
You are correct it does say Alias because I have other entry books that refer to her as Alias as well they all have the same inquest number 331, As to being born in Tamworth I wondered about that because that record is the only one that states Tamworth, would Tamworth been added because it was the closest major town? How did WW Fraser know where she was born?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 January 21 22:03 GMT (UK) »
The Coroner relies on information gathered by the police,... the police were notified of the sudden death.  So the police supplied the information re Tamworth, based on their enquiries.  The other records with "331'" mentions are likely the handwritten indexes pointing to the document that I sourced for that snip to decipher that one word.

JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jasonm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 08 January 21 22:05 GMT (UK) »
It does say Alias as this is from another entry i have, But how does he know if she was born in Tamworth? or was it because it was the closest major town?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 08 January 21 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps my last post was not clear enough. Sorry.

WW Fraser was the person in charge of the Inquest.  So he heard evidence from the police officers who had gathered their evidence of the sudden death of Margaret PORTER.  So the Police information included her lawful name, her known by name, her age and her place of birth.... so standard  police enquiries obtain that type and depth of detail basically in NSW since soldiers as garrison forces controlled the penal settlements starting in 1788 ....

The Coroner relies on information gathered by the police,... the police were notified of the sudden death.  So the police supplied the information re Tamworth, based on their enquiries.  The other records with "331'" mentions are likely the handwritten indexes pointing to the document that I sourced for that snip to decipher that one word.

JM   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 08 January 21 22:35 GMT (UK) »
So basically, if you accept that her name was Margaret Porter,  and Bennett ... and aged 42, then Tamworth should be accepted too. 

JM.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 08 January 21 23:02 GMT (UK) »
I have made several phone calls, checked Police Gazettes, checked offline records etc ....
WW Fraser was the Police Magistrate at Inverell.  So he conducted the Inquest hearing in HIS Court House, best to accept he was thorough in making sure the evidence was gathered properly, and relevant.  Notice or example her age .... it is 42.... not "about 42"  nor 40-45  .... but an exact number.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 08 January 21 23:03 GMT (UK) »
William Wilberforce FRASER, P.M.

:)

JM