Author Topic: birth and death records  (Read 2268 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: birth and death records
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 January 21 03:03 GMT (UK) »
WARNING,  the following cutting uses an expression that is no longer used as it has adverse racist connotations indicating that the reporter believed that Margaret had an Aboriginal heritage. 

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/109871798  Evening News 31 March 1884.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 January 21 03:04 GMT (UK) »
You have an incompletely transcribed marriage certificate for Margaret BENNETT, and no death certificate, so it important to know / assess what information you have to work with.

What documents do you have for BDM events in the lives of the people you are researching?

------------------------------------------------------------

At the time of her death, and for the inquest records, Margaret is identified with family names PORTER and BENNETT.   Other than that particular occasion, where and when do you see her as Margaret BENNETT?

"...after Charles died ten years later she started using Bennett again "

--------------------------------------------------------------

BDM NSW birth

9098/1872  PORTER Caroline  parents Charles / Margaret    @ Coonabarabran

9816/1874  PORTER John   parents  Charles / Margaret  @ Coonabarabran

death
4529/1874  PORTER Charles parents Thomas / Caroline    @ Coonabarabran

Can you please list all the information on the birth certificate you have for John PORTER. The name of the informant is useful.....the person who gives Margaret birthplace and age.

Glen Innes Examiner and General Advertiser  18 Mar 1884 p4
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/217879714?

What happened to Margaret's children after her death?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 January 21 03:07 GMT (UK) »
The reason I say she used her maiden name is because on Charles death cert it says "Informant Margaret Porter" but under "spouse" it says Margaret Bennett, this is why I am looking for more official documentation other than Inquest entries, I have entered both names on NSW BDM also variants of the names also on Ancestry.com and nothing other than her marriage and Charles death certs,

Agh .... well the NSW BDM requirement then (and still now) is that the name of the spouse is recorded in that specific position on that document as the name used when marrying and then the name used at the time of informing....  :)   so she married as Bennett, and she was his widow, and thus Mrs Porter, when informing the information for his death registration.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 January 21 03:11 GMT (UK) »
So after Charles death,  she may well have become known as Margaret BENNETT.  It is still NOT against NSW law for anyone to become known by any name.  NSW BDM would prefer that it was informed about the change of name, and various banks, government departments etc want to have the formality of a NSW BDM change of name document,  but even as recently as the 1980s it was still quite possible to be known by any name without much ID to support it.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 January 21 03:14 GMT (UK) »
You have an incompletely transcribed marriage certificate for Margaret BENNETT, and no death certificate, so it important to know / assess what information you have to work with.

Wivenhoe,  our OP has actually attached an official transcription of the full marriage cert based on NSW BDM records.... its attached to an earlier post.  The marriage was in regional NSW, in the 1860s, and simply is one of the many NSW BDM marriage records that have NOT been reconciled to the Church registers.    I have already offered my advice as to how to overcome those elusive blanks on the NSW BDM m.c.

JM

Offline jasonm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 January 21 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Attached is John Porter birth cert Margarets son, Also Charles Death cert I've tried to attach the iquest doc but its to large

Offline jasonm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 January 21 03:23 GMT (UK) »
John porter birth cert

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 January 21 03:37 GMT (UK) »
For docs too large you can split them into 2/3 or however many parts & attach in several posts.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 January 21 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jason,

If you are looking at the images that Ancestry has uploaded, please do not upload, as that may infringe their Terms & Conditions.     I am uploading a snip from a very small portion of an image of the Registers of Coroners' Inquests etc, as I am asking our regular RChatters to help confirm one word on it.   I think it reads Margaret Porter, alias Bennett, 42,  Tamworth.

I am asking if the word is 'alias'.   I note that 'Tamworth' is given in the column headed 'Where born' and that 42 is in the column headed 'Age'.   The inquest was March 1884,  so I agree that Margaret was born in 1842 or thereabouts.    And I well know that Tamworth is in the New England district of New South Wales, so I included 'Tamworth' to show some of the handwriting style of the legal clerk writing up that entire page of that register.     So my snip is from image numbered 295 of 499.   There are 19 or so separate entries, each 'line' being across the double page.  Twelve columns, so the snip is across three columns of one entry in the central part of the document.

JM