Author Topic: Missing parents marriage based on 1829 Baptism  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Missing parents marriage based on 1829 Baptism
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 January 21 15:22 GMT (UK) »
The usual version of Audley on FindMyPast is Audrey.

I've downloaded two wills including the 1853 document and an extract from TNA. They are a nightmare, why are the recent one page wills with nothing to leave to the only child typed but the 5 page thing with wives, lovers, children and half the county named in them written by a drunk spider? The extract is for a William though it's early 1800's and mentions a niece and if in the event she dies the monies should go to her "brother of the half blood". 

Interesting discovery about John's household in 1881, his son married one of the girls who was boarding in the house and obviously John was widowed the year before. He went on to marry one of the servant girls from the 1881 return who was about 25 years his junior in 1884. I can only guess he was trying to forget his business problems  ;D  I think they dogged him for years as he became a father again in 1893  ;D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 January 21 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Minor breakthrough on the 1853, Death index gives age as 63 so Audley Mucklow c1790. Names deciphered so far are Ann (wife) and Robert (brother).

1851 census
Audley   Mucklow   Head   Married   Male   60   1791   Retired Farmer
Mary   Mucklow   Wife   Married   Female   59   1792   -
John   Mucklow   Nephew   Unmarried   Male   22   1829   Farmer Of 100 Acres
Jane   Bellamy   Servant   Unmarried   Female   16   1835   House Servant

Robert bap 1797, son of Audley and Elizabeth
John bap 1829, son of Robert & Sarah

Assuming I did find the correct Robert as per the original post the names and dates fit with the documents and census but there isn't an Audley c1790, there are three earlier records in 1766, 1748 and 1742

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 January 21 22:56 GMT (UK) »
The will is a bit of a nightmare and just a couple of names but the codicil added Nov 1842 is a lot more informative. The only headache is that there seems to be a clutch of baptisms to find.

Best guess using the age of 63 in the death index is the will is that of Audley Mucklow c1790-1853

Names & Relationships in Will

Ann Muxlow - wife

Robert Mucklow - brother
Edward Mucklow -brother

Codicil added Nov 1842

Mary Muxlow - wife

Edward Mucklow - brother
Edward Mucklow -nephew

Ann Mucklow - sister

John Mucklow - nephew; only son of Robert - brother

----

The only baptism record I have so far is that of Robert -brother- bap 1797, Leadenham, son of Audley and Elizabeth

I suspect that marriage is the one at Buslingthorpe Lincs in 1787, Audley Mucklow (full age" to Elizabeth Byron "full age". Also related to that marriage is Copy Will and Codicil of Edward Byron of Middle Rasen, farmer; To daughter Elizabeth, wife of Audley Mucklow of Leadenham, farmer, and her heirs and assigns, messuage or tenement with yard and appurtenances on the south side of the North Street of Middle Rasen, called Cartwright House, now in the tenure or occupation of Robert Bestoby his undertenants or assigns.

In terms of baptisms I'm missing one for Audley c1790-1853, Edward c1795 and Ann n/k

Apart from the baptisms there's the change of wife between the will and codicil, that's got me stumped.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 January 21 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked on FreeReg? They have the Leadenham registers transcribed. Many many entries for MUCKLOW (with soundex and nearby places). It's also worth looking further afield.

eg : Audley MUXLOE bap 29 Jan 1771 parents Audley and Sarah at St Swithin, Leadenham.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 January 21 03:50 GMT (UK) »

Robert Mucklow - brother
Edward Mucklow -brother

Codicil added Nov 1842

Mary Muxlow - wife

Edward Mucklow - brother
Edward Mucklow -nephew

Ann Mucklow - sister

John Mucklow - nephew; only son of Robert - brother

Also, not sure if it's the correct family as I can't see a baptism for Audley, however on Ancestry (record only) there is these baptisms to Samuel and Sarah MUCKLOW at Leadenham:

1781  Sarah
1783  Edward
1784  Robert

They are a nightmare, why are the recent one page wills with nothing to leave to the only child typed but the 5 page thing with wives, lovers, children and half the county named in them written by a drunk spider?

;D ;D It gives me a headache trying to read them, that's why I didn't even attempt it in your case, thought I'd let you have the fun!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 January 21 04:00 GMT (UK) »

I suspect that marriage is the one at Buslingthorpe Lincs in 1787, Audley Mucklow (full age" to Elizabeth Byron "full age".

FreeReg have this marriage. Audley is of Leadenham

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 January 21 04:11 GMT (UK) »

Apart from the baptisms there's the change of wife between the will and codicil, that's got me stumped.

There is this marriage:
Audley MUXLOE (widower of Dembleby, Lincs, farmer and grazier) to Mary SWANN by license 31 Aug 1828 at St Peter, Saxby, Leicestershire  :-\

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 January 21 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted, I'd been looking across in Notts as there's a couple of bits in the papers in 1851 and 1852 about an Edward mentioning a shop.  Certainly one of the Edwards was very prominent with supporting the railway and had shares in the railway company, also references to one of the farms being by the station and a mortgage indenture for a loan made by an Edward, grocer of Leadenham in 1862.

Fascinating little family and the line with John runs down to a marriage to a daughter of Amy Beechey (she of the five sons killed in WWI). Another daughter of Amy married into one of my direct lines which sparked my interest along with a couple of documents I've bought on Ebay.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 January 21 15:42 GMT (UK) »

There is this marriage:
Audley MUXLOE (widower of Dembleby, Lincs, farmer and grazier) to Mary SWANN by license 31 Aug 1828 at St Peter, Saxby, Leicestershire  :-\

Now you really have got me thinking. I've got another old document from one of my direct lines for a loan a couple of years before that marriage. Names on the doc are Goulson (my ancestor) to a Linney and witnessed by a Muxloe.  My Goulson ancestors were surgeons at Ropsley, Sleaford and Heckington.

If you hear of someone drowned in old dusty docs from the 1800's and I stop posting then you probably know who the drowned man is  ;D