Author Topic: Frederic Macleod  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Algrass62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederic Macleod
« on: Thursday 07 January 21 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm trying to find out whether my father Frederic Macleod was born in Scotland or not.  He died Aug 1977 Mt Isa Queensland Australia. It says on his death certificate that he was born in Aberdeen, but it does not say whether it is Aberdeen in Scotland or the Aberdeen in New South Wales.

There are no records in Australia except his death certificate.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Regards
Alistair

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Frederic Macleod
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 January 21 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Please give us all the information on his death certificate, and specifically his age, the names of his parents, and the name of his wife.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 January 21 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Did he have a Scottish accent?

Did he marry in Australia?

Were you and any siblings born in Australia?

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 January 21 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Did he have a middle name? There was a Frederick * McLeod birth registered in 1904 in Aberdeen.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 January 21 22:09 GMT (UK) »
We need to wait for you to confirm, Alistair. Is this his burial details? www.findagrave.com/memorial/163623118/frederic-macleod

For this death entry, there is also this  www.familyhistory.bdm.qld.gov.au/details/c44a77909b7c7d6f261334c305b17ce060b2ee1e4a1938f20432f9e4cdc3ca6d Father's name may not be known, mother's maiden name Collins.

If the right one, looks to be a possible birth year of c. 1921-2 for Frederick. There are no Scottish births showing for those years anywhere in Scotland. I can only see two births between 1920-24, these being in 1924. One in Inverness and the other in Alloa.

Have you checked for births in Aberdeen in NSW?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 January 21 02:04 GMT (UK) »
To add to the list...

What date did you celebrate his birthday?

Do you know if he was in the Army/Navy/Merchant Navy/RAF during WW2 or what any occupation was in his life e.g. when you & siblings were born?

Did he never speak about his life, parents, siblings or any wee snippets you recall which may help no matter how small e.g. schools, place names...?

Monica, I'd say 2 yrs out isn't much if he'd altered his age to join up?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 21 08:13 GMT (UK) »
As requested by Forfarian, we need all the information from the will (not necessarily cause of death though)

Who was the informant on his d/c?

The d/c should specifiy how long in the State (at least earlier ones do).

Have you checked to see if he left a will?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 January 21 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Aberdeen in Scotland or the Aberdeen in New South Wales
Just to note , there is a marriage in 1924 NSW , Norman V(incent?) MacLeod/Doris Collins.

If Frederick was born in Australia 1922-1924 it might be difficult to find a birth online due to the the 100 year rule.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 January 21 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Just to let others know, Algrass sent me a PM...

I will post below but it's important you answer all questions from others as best you can in order to receive the best help.

Forfarian requested the info. from the death cert. which at this time is your only lead.

Are you able to get a copy of your parents marriage cert. & does it give their ages, parents names, addresses, witnesses, occupations?

The questions asked are to help you i.e. replying by PM isn't recommended unless info. relates to living/possible living people which may include your father's siblings i.e. a PM with that info. to others is recommended.

"Fred also went by Frederick Mcleod. From what I can remember he said he was in the RAF flying and he also had a RAF jacket complete with buttons from WW2. Not sure of birthdate except my sister thinks it was 18 Oct."

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"