Author Topic: Frederic Macleod  (Read 3920 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Frederic Macleod
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 January 21 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Well Forfarian that is a possibility but I don't see a Mc/Mac/Collins death do you?

Perhaps the whole family went to Australia but parents died before the author was born.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 January 21 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Alistair for the details about the informant.   I  have a fair understanding of the NSW admin processes when there's hospital staff as the informant, so possibly similar processes applied in Qld.

Firstly, they rely on their own paperwork, so the personal details they glean from any previous admission papers for any  times your Dad may have been admitted to that  hospital plus the personal details for the most recent admission.    Rare to find names of patients children on hospital admission records.

Secondly Qld BDM paperwork for registering deaths was usually handled by funeral director, and not by the family.   The funeral director would have known the Qld BDM rules at that time. 

Likely those rules would have been similar to the then NSW BDM rules and to the then Victoria BDM rules.  The funeral director could be fined, or penalised further for breaching those rules.

Yes, the process has improved now but back in 1970s the funeral director was not allowed  to list any children of any relationships unless those relationship/s were formal marriages.  So across all the eight jurisdictions in Australia, for most of the 20th century and back into the 19th century,  the BDM registers holding records of deaths have included "children of the marriage"  only, and some did not even include them...

And that's one of the reasons that family historians are cautious when examining details on those historical d.c.s .... BUT laws change and while we cannot undo past flaws we can now have confidence that there's less restrictions on the info to include on current registrations.

Some thoughts .... have you considered sending an email to the Uniting Church in Mt Isa asking if their records from the 1970s may have any mention of your Dad or his parents or any of his relatives.....

Fingers crossed...

Hello, very interesting with the RAF details, thankyou.
The will basically names myself and my sister as beneficuaries (probably spelt that wrong).

The DC lists the following Medical certifier at the base Hosp D.Nichol.
Informant: B. Winter Grey @ the base Hospital and F.D. Sim Public Trustee Denham st Townsville.
Religion Minister was Sidney J Tame Uniting Church. 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 January 21 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Well Forfarian that is a possibility but I don't see a Mc/Mac/Collins death do you?
No. Nor can I see a death for Norman Vincent MacLeod in NSW, which is where that marriage was.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 January 21 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Middle name I think is Victor not Vincent.

Norman Victor McLeod and wife Doris show at 31 Middleton Street, Newington, Lang, New South Wales on the 1930 electoral rolls. His occupation is given as being a blind fitter.

By 1937, Norman is showing as a store keeper at Concord, Martin, NSW. Still in the same area up to 1958, with Doris. He has returned to being a blind fitter for a living. There are gaps but there are no other McLeods showing at their addresses.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 January 21 23:15 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on ancestry showing that Norman Vincent McLeod was born in Wagga Wagga in 1902. He died in 1969 in Concord, NSW. There is nothing to show any connection to Scotland. The tree only shows 2 females (private information) born to Doris & Norman.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 January 21 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Found this yesterday-
Frederick Macleod 2255142 Royal Air Force , 1944.

Maybe help the chap out Ev, where's it to be found (link)?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 10 January 21 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone managed to find the possible siblings in Australia?

JM...I'll update you by PM so you know where we're at (for helping) :P

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 11 January 21 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Alistair,

As you're the eldest male of 3 children, was it ever mentioned who you were named after?

Is it possible you were named after your paternal g/father as Alistair is Scottish Gaelic for Alexander & usually (not always) the eldest son would receive the name of his paternal g/father, does it ring a bell?

Annie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 11 January 21 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Some very very untested speculations...

In 1958, in Perth, Western Australia a death is register for an 80 year old lady, Mabel Victoria McLeod. 

According to a public submitted tree she was a Mrs COLLINS before becoming Mrs McLeod....

She had a daughter in 1904, born  London, England, Ethel Louise COLLINS... 

Next 7 children were born in Western Australia, as McLeod...

I have not had moments to check further, but WA bdm certs a very expensive, so don't buy until we have all had time to consider ....

JM  add ... her nee on that tree is Bryans  .... 1879 - 1958.  Fingers crossed
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.