Author Topic: Frederic Macleod  (Read 3905 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Frederic Macleod
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello, very interesting with the RAF details, thankyou.
The will basically names myself and my sister as beneficuaries (probably spelt that wrong).

The DC lists the following Medical certifier at the base Hosp D.Nichol.
Informant: B. Winter Grey @ the base Hospital and F.D. Sim Public Trustee Denham st Townsville.
Religion Minister was Sidney J Tame Uniting Church.

Rev Sidney James Hamer TAME was ordained Methodist Minister, so was part of the clergy when the Presbyterias, Methodists, Congregatonalists joined together ad the Uniting Church of Australia.  Every possibility that Reverend is still alive.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 04:52 GMT (UK) »
I have not found any immigration for Frederic* M*LEOD  from 1945 to 1965 in any of my offline resources,  if born Scotland and coming under the "Ten Pound Pom" scheme, he would likely have surrended his passport (if he had one) on embarkation ...

I am still pulling on my thinking cap, as not all immigration records are indexed for post WWII.

:)  .... 

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Alistair,

One of the questions asked was whether Frederick had a Scottish accent?

Is anything known of his occupation when you & siblings were born or at any other time e.g. immediately prior to his death?

Is it known if his siblings remained in Scotland or where they were?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Algrass62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosinish,
He apparently had an accent according to my mother and sister.  Nothing else is known about his siblings. He worked at the Selene Coal Mines near Monto QLD circa 1960. He was a Parking meter officer with The Mt Isa City Council (MCC) QLD post 1965 to his death in 1977.

Thankyou
Alistair

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 13:40 GMT (UK) »

Rev Sidney James Hamer TAME was ordained Methodist Minister, so was part of the clergy when the Presbyterias, Methodists, Congregatonalists joined together ad the Uniting Church of Australia.  Every possibility that Reverend is still alive.

JM

Quite a distinctive name, JM. This is likely his death notice from 2018 www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/tributes/notice/funeral-notices/tame-sidney-james-hamer-rev/3015360/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't found this in my previous search but do you think this chap would be too old...

MCLEOD FRED 1916 - 266/ 274 Nigg (Kincardine)

Have you thought of sending an email to the RAF with an enquiry giving all your father's details to see if they may be able to help?

https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation/stations/raf-lossiemouth/

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Annie,

Its one I looked at and discounted (read above) even though the actual address of this birth states Aberdeen.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 20:16 GMT (UK) »
RAF Lossiemouth won't have any records of Frederick MacLeod. During WW2 it was a naval air base, and it only became an RAF base in the 1970s.

From the National Archives research guide: "RAF service records created since the beginning of the Second World War remain in the custody of the Ministry of Defence and are accessible only to the service personnel themselves or their next of kin."

See https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Some thoughts ....
 :) Apart from the limited info on the d.c. there can often be information held by the funeral director that could be followed up ....
- who paid for the funeral?
-  how are they connected to Frederic?
-  What information is in funeral directors file about either Frederic or his family or the person/organisation who paid the funeral expenses
-  Mt ISA council ... could they jstill  have  employee records back that far?  If So what info including .... a) date of birth,  b) contact details for "next of kin"   c) past employment history  d) name and address of any referees that he had nominated when applying for work

And .... perhaps a snail mail letter to the current Member of federal parliament representing the federal seat of Kennedy .... asking for his help in finding how Frederic arrived in Australia.  (Immigration being a federal government responsibility) ... This particular politician is a bit of a colourful figure, an independent, with decades of experience in both state and federal parliaments.

At all steps in Australia when following up at this depth,  people may ask "why do you  want to know" .... and often they make only a small token effort if you explain its  for family history....  in my experience, a better response is simply:

I am seeking information about my father and his origins as I need (avoid using 'want') to follow up to glean my / any  medical history for myself, my siblings and our children.

JM.