Author Topic: Bolts burn  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Samiluca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bolts burn
« on: Thursday 07 January 21 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on the inhabitants of bolts burn in the 1850’s

Offline Samiluca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bolts burn
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 January 21 21:07 GMT (UK) »
My specific enquiry is that my great great grandmother was a member of the ward family who seemed to be a dominant family in bolts burn. However Hannah Ward had two illegitimate daughters Ann &Elizabeth born in lanchester workhouse . Does anybody have any information on this family in the 1840’s, 1850’s & 60’s? Many thanks.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 January 21 09:17 GMT (UK) »
There a Hannah Ward, of Boltsburn, baptised Stanhope St. Thomas the Apostle 15 Jun 1834 d/o Thomas, smelter,  Jane Ward
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Samiluca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 January 21 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your reply. That Hannah I think would be the cousin of my Hannah. My Hannah was born in 1826 and it seems there was about 8 ward kids to a Thomas and Mary Ward.They all lived next door to one another In Bolts burn .My Hannah lives with her Aunty Mary Gardiner (nee Ward) in the 1841 census. By the 1951 census my Hannah seems to be in lanchester workhouse with two illegitimate daughters.
My question is is this the same Hannah and if so , why from such an all encompassing family is she in the workhouse. BTW i have the workhouse inmate sheet and on the same page there is a Hannah Ward with Elizabeth and Ann and a Hannah Waird with Elizabeth and Ann!!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 January 21 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Did Hannah marry after 1851 Census and name her Father as Thomas Ward?

Why I ask is I can find a Bapt for HANNAH Ward 18 Jun 1826, St Mary Magdalene, Medomsley.
Mother HANNA Ward, illegitimate
Abode Allendale

1851 Hannah Waird is born c 1826 Medomsley, Durham
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Samiluca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 January 21 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Thrish, there is my conundrum. Is that Hanna of Allendale cottages the same Hannah that belongs to the Bolts Burn Ward’s that is the same Hannah that ends up in the workhouse. The dates are all correct and the very localised addresses but the mother Hannah is a mystery. Moreover, the illegitimate granddaughter Ann who is my great grandmother shows up living in benfieldside with an Isabella Frazer in the 1861 census who is said to be her grandmother ? !! My Ann then goes onto have lots of sons and daughters all who live in benfieldside and all who are wards and all who have no father on any records. So that would make for 4 generations of illegitimate wards !!

Offline Samiluca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 January 21 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking at this for 2 years now as to where my ward name comes from x

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 January 21 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I feel for you as its hard to work out.
I've looked at Isabella Fraser but cant see how she is Anns Grandmother.

Re Isabellas Daug Jane (Janet) Johnson in 1861/1871 Census.
Nothing on line for her 1861 marriage to John Johnson.

1871 Isabella is born c 1798

Looked for Birth Reg for Jane/t Fraser/Frazer c 1840 but am unable to confirm anything sorry.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Samiluca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 January 21 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for trying Trish. I suppose my main aim is to find if my Hannah ward is the same hah hah ward of the Bolts Burn Ward’s and I’m not sure of any other way to find this out. Maybe on this sight I was hoped for some anecdotal information or local historical information. The census are a brilliant resource but they leave you with more questions he he . I’m like a hamster on a wheel. I have had ancestry for years and I just go back to the same searching !! Cheers Thrish xx