Author Topic: New GEDmatch T&Cs with 4 day deadline  (Read 686 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New GEDmatch T&Cs with 4 day deadline
« on: Thursday 07 January 21 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone else received an email from GEDmatch saying the T&Cs have changed and, if you don't refuse them by 11th Jan, they presume you've accepted them? This is crazy, particularly given I didn't accept the new T&Cs after the take-over last year and was told my account would be deleted after a few months.

Here at GEDmatch, we are focused on improving our services and your experience as a user.  We are updating our GEDmatch.com Terms of Service and Privacy Policy to include required disclosures in accordance with applicable privacy laws, to update our payment terms, and to make our policies more transparent and understandable for you. Please be sure to read the full set of updated terms.

The updated terms will go into effect on January 11, 2021. If you continue to use our services on or after January 11, 2021 you are agreeing to the updated terms.  If you don’t agree, you can choose to discontinue using our services and close your account before the updated terms become effective.

Thanks for being part of the GEDmatch community!  If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us at GEDmatch@verogen.com.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New GEDmatch T&Cs with 4 day deadline
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 21 11:21 GMT (UK) »
It seems some of the kits weren't automatically deleted in December. It may be worth checking for those who expected this to happen.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 21 00:51 GMT (UK) »
This is how T&Cs work on most sites you visit. Websites update their terms all the time, and as a courtesy often inform you of those updates.

When RootsChat last updated its terms you were not given an ultimatum to accept or delete your account. Your continued use of the site assumes you accepted those new terms.

Feel free to delete your kits from Gedmatch if you so desire, rather than relying on some automated process. Simply click on the pencil (edit) symbol next to the kit name, go to the Kit Removal tab, and follow the very easy steps to confirm deletion.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 21 08:58 GMT (UK) »
I’d say that T&Cs for holding a person’s DNA are more critical than those for RootsChat, for example, particularly as GEDmatch has been embroiled in the issue of sharing the data with law enforcement agencies. It’s also a US organisation that ought to take account of EU data protection/GDPR requirements which, last year, they did, after their take-over; they issued separate T&Cs for kits with a European email address/ISP. The terms were very clear that if they were not accepted by 9 Dec 2020 (some months ahead), that the DNA data would be deleted at that time, but they have failed to do so for some kits. If they hadn’t sent out the recent T&C update, we would never have known. The point of this post is to let others know who may be in the same situation so they can delete their kit manually.

Offline JosephusSapon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 21 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Two relevant blog posts:

https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2021/01/10/dna-winds-of-change/

https://thednageek.com/trust/

Really helpful, thanks for that.

From The DNA Geek (second link above)...

That ‘or’ means Doe cases will be able to see everyone in the public database, whether they’ve opted out of law-enforcement matching or not.  That’s new.  Until now, Doe kits have been treated like other forensic cases.

This is not the time to debate whether any individual should or should not want to help solve crimes or identify Does.  This isn’t about that.  This is about whether Verogen can be trusted.  And it’s not looking good.

From The Legal Genealogist (first link above)...

The result is that it isn’t at all clear just whose DNA data the law enforcement kits will be compared to: there’s no information clarifying who the people are whose DNA will be used, or available to be used, to identify the law enforcement suspects.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 01:13 GMT (UK) »
I've only recently uploaded mother's Ancestry results to gedmatch haven't been back to find code or whatever I'm supposed to do next
I don't understand any of the above conversation

But just a question could it be one of those scam mails where they panic people into doing something now in case you lose important things
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 09:32 GMT (UK) »
No, not a scam. The blogs at the above two links explain the changes at GEDmatch and also FTDNA. It's worth spending some time going through them.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Fleming even clicking and opening links is a major stress for me
I'm technophobic thru and thru

So I've missed deadline anyway
When I'm feeling more human and ready to step into 21st century my cousin will duo with me and retrieve code

Conversation like ..is that the bar with 3 lines
How do I know where it up/downloaded to .I don't have a search history ...etc

Before I up,/download my aunts and my own to gedmatch I'll invest in a computer

But he has an incredible number of matches so it sounds exciting
Do or people put gedmatch codes on their tree profiles
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson