Author Topic: Can I find the address/next of kin of WW1 medal holder  (Read 999 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find the address/next of kin of WW1 medal holder
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 January 21 23:15 GMT (UK) »
I saw info for both guys too but went with the date based on the medical record given by Shaun but that's no guarantee that it's the right man. Maybe you could start a post on the Ireland County Board giving his name and asking for info on Irish records for more local knowledge.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 January 21 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Let me just say that some of my own Irish relatives were very, very vague and inaccurate about their ages in official documents.

In this case the army numbers are the key.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 January 21 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ, Treetotal and Tickettyboo

I’m a total novice at interpreting these WW1 records, so all your help is very much appreciated.

Am I right in ruling out the Thomas with wife Elizabeth (in Kingstown), meaning the Thomas with wife Elizabeth (in 151 King Street) was the man these medals were awarded to, as per three cards Tickettyboo located in Fold 3.

Regards
L

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 January 21 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ, Treetotal and Tickettyboo

I’m a total novice at interpreting these WW1 records, so all your help is very much appreciated.

Am I right in ruling out the Thomas with wife Elizabeth (in Kingstown), meaning the Thomas with wife Elizabeth (in 151 King Street) was the man these medals were awarded to, as per three cards Tickettyboo located in Fold 3.

Regards
L

The Thomas Mulligan who died at 151 North King St. Dunlin in 1947  his death was registered by his son John.

Have you searched Irish Genealogy for the births of children of the Thomas Mulligan, who was born in Wexford to see if you can determine their mother's maiden name and then see if there is any sign of them having a child called John, who was perhaps old enough to have left home by 1911 OR was born after 1911?

I am stuck for time today but a quick look suggests the children listed on the 1911 where the Dad was born Wexford had a MMN of Staunton (or spelling variants).

If you can find that they also had a child called John that would be a point in favour of this being the man born in Wexford. If no child called John that that would suggest the other Thomas Mulligan is, on balance, the most likely?

Boo

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 January 21 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi (and thanks again)

On 1911 Census (Wexford) Thomas and Elizabeth Mulligan of Kingstown state they have 4 living children - a son Peter and 3 daus.

In 1913 this couple had another daughter.

On 8 July 1917, this Thomas died at a local hospital.

You wrote that the Thomas in Fold 3 was discharged in July 1920, so in addition to not having a son named John - this rules out this Wexford born Thomas, doesn’t it.

Now I have to dash....

Am I right?

Kindest regards

L

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 January 21 16:03 GMT (UK) »
With the extra info it does seem a reasonable conclusion to discount the Thomas born in Wexford.

Given that the address of 151 North King Street was given to the pension authorities so the payments  could be made I'd also be fairly confident that the Thomas and Elizabeth who both had that address mentioned on their death registrations are 'extremely' likely to be the right man.

That's just my opinion though, I am sure if anyone can come up with something to gainsay it they will post :-)

Still can't find a logical explanation of the medical record which has his age as 51, but it could just have been an error when they were writing it down or reading it from another record.

Boo

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 January 21 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Gosh, a huge thanks to you all for the guidance/facts.  It is very much appreciated.

I agree it appears Thomas from North King Street was the man these medals were awarded to.

Stay safe

L