Author Topic: Can I find the address/next of kin of WW1 medal holder  (Read 448 times)

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find the address/next of kin of WW1 medal holder
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 January 21 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

Thanks a mil.

Iíd looked carefully at this Thomas in the 1911 census (with a wife named Elizabeth) wondering if it was him.  See
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Kingstown_No__3/Desmond_Avenue/91570/

As I sadly cannot see the tree online, is there a contact email showing?

Kind regards

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 January 21 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I tried to send her a message but it's inactive so I presume that her subscription has expired as she hasn't been on Ancestry for a year  ::)

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 January 21 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Well, Thank You for trying.  Such a shame.

Regards

L

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 January 21 15:42 GMT (UK) »
It might be a good idea to alter the title of your post to include his name and place of birth, that way, anyone researching his Family line on Google will be brought here. you do this by pressing the "Modify" button, then save.  ;)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 January 21 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I looked on Fold3. There were 3 cards for Thomas Mulligan 607281

The first one I looked at was for a disability pension - the disability was rheumatism  and it stated it was aggravated by his service. He was discharged 30.7.20 , his year of birth was recorded as 1875 and he was a married man. The home address on the card was 151 North King St Dublin and the pension was to commence on 23.11.20. there are various signatures and dates (presumably when someone did something on his pension account, though there's no detail) the latest date I can see is in 1932.

the next one says the claimant was Elizabeth Mulligan, the widow of Thomas Mulligan 607281, that's all it has and there are no dates on it but it does have the ref no of the first one on it as a cross reference

The third is cross referenced to the second one and says Elizabeth Mulligan, widow of Thomas Mulligan 607281, address 151 North King St Dublin and there is a date on that of 26/3/47 - though again it doesn't give any details for the entry.

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 January 21 16:12 GMT (UK) »
There is a death register entry for a Thomas Mulligan on Irish Genealogy
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1947/04590/4215030.pdf

(you need to sign in (free) to see that)

He was 68, married, address 151 North King St., Dublin and his death was registered by his son, John.

That would 'fit' with the date on the third pension card I saw where Elizabeth was named as his widow and the date next to the army clerk's signature was 26.3.1947. I assume she had applied for his pension as it was attributable to his service (but don't know enough about these records to be sure)

Given  the birth year on his disability pension card of 1875 there is a possible/likely entry in the 1911 census for the family in Lurgan St., Inns Quay, Dublin
Thomas age 35
Elizabeth age 35
John age 3
Mary age 1

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 January 21 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Possible death for his wife, Elizabeth on Irish Genealogy

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1959/04360/4130443.pdf

08 April 1959 Deaths
Elizabeth Mulligan age 79, of 151 King St, Dublin, death was registered by someone at the hospital where she died.

Boo

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 January 21 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ticketty

Thanks for all your research.

Possibly Iím confused (and thatís quite likely) but ShaunJ wrote that - thereís a Jan 1919 Medical Card on FindmyPast, which shows him as then Aged 51.

Which I reckoned would have him age 43 in our Irish 1911 census, ie born c. 1868.

I found a 43 year old Thomas Mulligan (m) to an Elizabeth, living in Kingstown, Dublin, but he was originally from Wexford and born in Wexford 1868.

Should I be ruling out this (Wexford) Thomas in favour if the guy who lived in North King Street?

Would love guidance on this?   Aghhhhh

Kindest regards
L

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 January 21 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I looked at the record ShaunJ posted about and yes, as he says, it lists this soldier's age as 51.

I am so sorry I can't explain it, I can only tell you what the pension record cards say and give you 'possible' records that seem to fit with that scenario.

Which one is correct? Was the age on the medical record wrong? Was the birth year on the pension record wrong?
Well its got to be one or the other but, as yet, I don't have enough info to hazard a guess about that.
Sometimes we have to explore and gather as many 'possibles' as we can , then look at them as a whole and see if its possible to draw an 'on balance this is the most likely scenario' conclusion.

Its often not a quick journey, but sometimes we get there in the end.

Boo