Author Topic: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80  (Read 219023 times)

Offline Charlie24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80
« Reply #360 on: Saturday 14 March 20 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much!
This information is so interesting.
Regards
Charlie

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: Saturday 14 March 20 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much!
This information is so interesting.
Regards
Charlie

I’m pleased to help, it’s wonderful to see such rare and iconic images.  In the past such photos could only be seen in the bowels of a museum. The internet has enabled the posting of long buried photos from family collections. Thank you for posting it.  I have been able to see photos in the last decade that previous researchers could only dream of.

Offline b_henderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: Saturday 14 March 20 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I have inherited a Second Anglo-Afghan War that was issued to Alexander Forbes who was a Private at the time. He was born 18 Dec 1854 in Cruden, Aberdeenshire and enlisted in 1875 with the 1st Regiment 25 Foot, King’s Own Borderers (Reg # 6B/330).
He was discharged from the KOSB 14 Sep 1896 in Berwick-upon-Tweed after 21 years and 39 days service.
He died 4 Apr 1917 in Kelso, Scotland. His obituary noted he was a Pipe-Major.
He had 2 sons who also served in the military.
I also have a photo in uniform which I believe is of Alexander.

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: Monday 16 March 20 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I have inherited a Second Anglo-Afghan War that was issued to Alexander Forbes who was a Private at the time. He was born 18 Dec 1854 in Cruden, Aberdeenshire and enlisted in 1875 with the 1st Regiment 25 Foot, King’s Own Borderers (Reg # 6B/330).
He was discharged from the KOSB 14 Sep 1896 in Berwick-upon-Tweed after 21 years and 39 days service.
He died 4 Apr 1917 in Kelso, Scotland. His obituary noted he was a Pipe-Major.
He had 2 sons who also served in the military.
I also have a photo in uniform which I believe is of Alexander.

Please go ahead and post the photo and I will interpret it for you.

Offline b_henderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: Saturday 21 March 20 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! that is very kind of you. I will try and attach the carte de visite.

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: Saturday 21 March 20 23:37 GMT (UK) »
This is almost certainly one of Alexander’s son’s.  He too is in the King’s Own Scottish Borderers and has been appointed as a Lance Corporal, which was a probationary position with no pension rights or seniority date.  It was used to see how a man handled a position of authority and if he did well he would be promoted properly to the substantive and pension earning rank of Corporal, with two stripes.
The soldier shown is also a qualified 1st Class Scout, which at that time was the term used for a soldier skilled at reconnaissance and using ground to move discreetly and observe the enemy from a position of cover.  This particular skill, similar to that of a Scottish ghillie or English gamekeeper was first encouraged by the then Colonel Baden Powell, who felt the need to train soldiers to have the similar abilities of a Boer farmer, having come to admire their capabilities in South Africa.  He devised their qualification badge, based on a fleur-de-lis that he also later used as an insignia when forming the Boy Scout movement.  The soldier is wearing a full dress doublet, with its distinctive Inverness flapped pockets on its skirts, and the Edinburgh castle collar badges of the KOSB.  His headdress is the regimental glengarry cap and with his white gloves and swagger stick/cane he is dressed for walking-out of barracks, as per regulation. His waist belt is from the Slade-Wallace equipment, with its so-called ‘Union clasp’ (DIEU ET MON DROIT) and his regimental trews are from the Leslie tartan of the KOSB.  I would date the photo to around 1905.

Offline b_henderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: Sunday 22 March 20 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much! I do have confirmed photos of his 2 sons and I am quite sure this is another person. Perhaps not even a family member, with your time estimate. A mystery...thank you for your time and knowledge!

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: Sunday 22 March 20 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much! I do have confirmed photos of his 2 sons and I am quite sure this is another person. Perhaps not even a family member, with your time estimate. A mystery...thank you for your time and knowledge!

I’m glad to have been able to help.  I’m positive of the date due to the Scout badge that was issued after the 2nd Boer War (1899-1902) and the shoulder title in white worsted embroidered thread, KOSB, which you can just discern. This was replaced by gilding metal (brass) titles in 1907.

Offline b_henderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: Sunday 22 March 20 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much again for sharing your expertise!   
Would it be ok to post another picture....definitely dated later than the 2nd Anglo afghan war. Or would there be a better place?