Author Topic: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80  (Read 219015 times)

Offline drummo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80
« Reply #81 on: Friday 06 August 10 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi McKen
How brilliant! Thank you so much, I believe I have so much information I can share with you too, even a photograph of Colour Sergeant James Drummond, but I just need a bit of time to write that email.  I am sure it will be worth it!  Drummo

Offline drummo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi McKen, thank you so much for your email, I too have been investigating my husband's family tree and am convinced that they are indeed related to each other!
Colour Sergeant James Drummond, 92nd Foot Gordon Highlanders, was my husband's great great grandfather and was living with his wife Jane, daughters Jane (3yrs), Margaret (3months) and son Charles (1year) at 12 Wales Street, Aberdeen according to the 1871 Scottish Census (unfortunately we don't have access to the handwritten copy of the census, just a basic typed version).  He went on to have another son James in 1874 and I think a daughter, Katherine, in India in 1878 (ref: 1881 census).
Whilst living in India as a soldier with his family....'on the occasion of the Imperial Assemblage at Delhi, to honour Queen Victoria being proclaimed Empress of India (1876), one sergeant from each regiment present, received a commemoration medal.  For the 92nd, this was James Drummond.
He was then posted to Afghanistan where he received the Aghan War medal with two clasps for Charasia (6 Oct 1879) and Kabul (10-23 Dec 1879).  His army number was 488.
Unfortunately on 13 December 1879, he received a gunshot wound to the abdomen during hand to hand fighting at the assault on the Takht-i-Shah near Kabul and was killed.  Surgeon Duke described his death ...
'James Drummond, a Highlander, stood over the fallen body of Lieutenant St John Forbes and bravely defended him, shooting one Afghan and endeavouring to bayonet another, who then seized the Highlander's rifle and a deadly struggle took place, during which he was cut down from behind and killed and then also Lt St John Forbes who he had tried to save.  Such is the manner in which Lieutenant St John Forbes and Colour Sergeant James Drummond met their death.'
However, whilst researching a little for Lt St John Forbes, I came across this: 'Lieutenant St John William Forbes was killed at Kabul on 13 December 1879.  He was the third son of Lt Col John Forbes and Lucy Whitmore and born at Malvern Link 20 January 1856.  He was at Charasiah, Kabul and the expedition to Maidan.  On 13 December 1879 he led his men to the summit of Takht-i-Shah and was protecting the body of Colour Sergeant James Drummond when he was shot through the head'.  (he was 23 years old at the time and this piece included a small photo of the young lieutenant)
The regimental notes add that James Drummond had 21 years service, was a native of Stanley in Perthshire, and an athlete who excelled in putting the stone and throwing the hammer.
I would like to say that Garen Ewing of RootsChat.co was so helpful in our research and gave us most of the service history for James Drummond, including a photo of him with the famous Hector MacDonald.
After he died we presume his wife and children returned to Scotland.  His two sons we believe (ref: 1881 Scottish census - Charles aged 11 and James aged 7) went to the Orphan Hospital, Midlothian.  Unfortunately we had no further information about the family, except for Charles who went on to become my husband's great grandfather, until we received your email.
The family story goes that Charles "walked" south to find work.  He appears on 1891 census for Stockton-on-Tees, Durham; I then found a marriage certificate showing he married Alice Mary Bush on 19 October 1893 in Kensington, Mddx which states he was a 'dyer' and his father a soldier deceased.  On the 1901 census, it shows he has moved to Newport, Monmouth with his wife and 3 children.  One of which, Charles Roy Drummond, goes on to be the grandfather of my husband.
Going back to the 1851 Scottish census, I've found a Charles Drummond, born about 1804 in Redgorton, living in Stanley with his wife Isabella and 6 children, one of which is a James Drummond aged 11 (could this be our Colour Sergeant?).  And going back even further, to the 1841 Scottish census, Charles appears here but with his wife Galdla Drummond and James at a year old.  So if this is correct, then we could have found the parents of James Drummond ie Charles and Galdla, our husbands' great great great grandparents.
I think this is all the information I have so far and hope that it contains some new material for you.  I will try and pass on the 2 photos mentioned and a copy of our family tree if you like but please do keep in touch,  I can always send you my email address!

Offline McKen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Drummo, more information for you as I have access to and copies of all the hand written census/birth/marriage records, some of which you refer to in your post.
Colour Sgt. James Drummond's birth cert. shows he was born 18/8/1839, Auchtergaven, Perthshire (aka Stanley/Redgorton).  His parent's were Charles Drummond (fisherman) and Isabella Robertson.  I have a written copy of the original 1841 census you refer to and the translation of her name is incorrect.  It looks like Galdhla but is actually Isabella.  Their children at the time were:- John (12), Robert (8), Thomas (5), William (3) and James (1).
Charles and Isabella married 7/3/1829 (Auchtergaven,Redgorton).  I also have a copy of the hand written marriage cert.  I have traced a Charles Drummond who was born 3/12/1803 in Redgorton.  His parents were John Drummond and Janet Duffus.  Again, I have the hand written copies. I have not investigated further but I will and let you know of any further information I find.
I am carrying out my research via scotlandspeople.gov.uk.  I have downloaded all the birth/marriage/census records that I have purchased.  It will take me a little bit of time but I would be happy to share these with you.  Evidence that your husband and my husband are distant relatives! What is interesting is that although my husband's surname is McKenzie, his family have retained the names Charles, Drummond and Roy which appear somewhere in the forenames of his uncles/cousins and other family members.  That is what made me investiage the Drummond side of his family tree!

I also have a hand written copy of Colour Sgt. James Drummond's marriage cert.  He married Jane Roy in Edinburgh. 
As it is late I will log on over the next few days and we can exchange e-mail addresses.  I have a copy of the photo of Colour Sergeant James Drummond from the forum but would be grateful for any other photos you have. Speak soon.

Offline drummo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 19 August 10 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi McKen, thank you very much for all the information.  I will now extend and amend the family tree and look forward to hearing from you again...

Offline phillomax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Garen,

My grt grandfather did go to Afghanistan but not until Oct 1880 and stayed there until Jan 1883. I imagine he missed the 2nd Afghan War and maybe was just part of a force maintaining the peace?

I've attached a copy of his 'military history sheet' for your interest.
He was in the 37th Brigade (no. 971) which became the Glosters.

Regards,
Phil
Gilleeney, Lomax, Regan, Wilks, WW1, 4th Bn Kings Liverpool Regiment, 2nd Boer War.

Offline Buzancy18

• RootsChat Member
  • Lest we Forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
This might help some of you.
http://www.angelfire.com/mp/memorials/memindz1.htm

Buzancy18
Girdwood, Fergusson, Graham, Porteous, Watson, Donaldson,

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 14 November 10 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello fellow researchers,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to register my interest in this campaign (Afghanistan 1878 - 1880). I am happy to help with questions anyone might have, and I am also interested in hearing from the descendants of people who were involved in or around the war.

I have a lot of information at hand but am always interested in more. Queries are welcome, as I like to help out if I can, and it also forces me to look into different aspects of the campaign and I learn more for myself each time.

I have a website, which will be going through some bigger updates over the next few months, at http://www.angloafghanwar.info

All the best -
Garen.

HI Garen

I have a book called the The Second  Afghan War  1878-1880  Casualty Roll  by Athony Farrington  a great sourse of infromation if you need any help let me know.

Biggles

Offline cuckoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Sunday 14 November 10 18:44 GMT (UK) »
hi garen , ive finally got to see the muster roll of my ggrandfather thomas williams private 840, he was with 1st batt, 5th reg NORTHUMBERLAND FUSILIERS,and know i can definately tie in his childrens births in india during 1868-1879,any ideas as to how i could get their birth certs, thanks
dorricott,williams.egan.owen.tynan,hunt

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 19 November 10 08:48 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Garen,my great great uncle was a private in the 72nd(Duke of Albany's)Highlanders.His name was Henry Steen.As far as I know he recieved the Bronze star for the march to Kandahar with clasps for what looks like Peirua(maybe Peiwar Kotol),Chavaxia(maybe Charasiah),Kabul and Kandahar.I would if possible I  like confirmation of what the clasps should be.
Also do you know where I might find  artwork relating to the 72nd during the campaign.I have found some with the 93rd Highlanders but none so far for the 72nd who were in the thick of the battle ar Kandahar.
 Lastly where might I find an image of what uniform the 72nd were wearing at this time.
 I am trying to find out as much as possible about his army career and any help will be greatly appreciated.

add on. Now have images of uniform and his records.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth