Author Topic: Covid Vaccination  (Read 16401 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Covid Vaccination
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 January 21 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Poor things, my heart bleeds for them (NOT!!) Don't they think that the care workers and their grandparents are more deserving?!!     >:(   (No need to answer that.... )
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 January 21 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Several different groups are now arguing that they deserve priority in the vaccination queues, for example teachers and policemen.  Each group can put forward a good reason why they should be prioritised, but how is the government to decide?  I suppose it depends on which angle they are coming from - put the most vulnerable first or put essential workers first?  I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

Very happy to receive a phone call yesterday from my GP's surgery inviting me to go for the jab next Saturday.  This is because I'm one of the older age group, by the way. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 January 21 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Several different groups are now arguing that they deserve priority in the vaccination queues, for example teachers and policemen.  Each group can put forward a good reason why they should be prioritised, but how is the government to decide?  I suppose it depends on which angle they are coming from - put the most vulnerable first or put essential workers first?  I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

Very happy to receive a phone call yesterday from my GP's surgery inviting me to go for the jab next Saturday.  This is because I'm one of the older age group, by the way.

It is very difficult to decide who should go first in the list....
whilst I appreciate that those in the older groups need protecting... if we want the children to get on with their education, after all they will be the people earning and supporting the country with taxes in the future ,
I do feel that we have an obligation to vaccinate all teachers so they’re able to get on with their jobs and allow parents to get back to work...after all if they’d wanted to be teachers they’d have trained in the first place.
There are going to be thousands of children whose education will suffer enormously because perhaps the home situation will not be able to assist whereas more affluent children will continue to prosper...
But I’m still of the opinion that professional footballers are not near the top of the list!
I wouldn’t want their job either!
I’m pleased to hear you will be getting your vacation next Saturday...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 January 21 11:21 GMT (UK) »
With regard to who should be vaccinated first:

The vaccination program is primarily designed to prevent the overwhelming of the NHS.  Something like 85% of all deaths from Covid are from people over the age of 70 and those deemed to be CEV.  Therefore if you can reduce the risk to those people then you remove the pressure on the NHS and all the subsequent knock on impacts.  People under 70, and thus much of the working population, can still get poorly but up to now seem to have not required as much medical attention.

Whether that continues with this new strain is up for debate.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 January 21 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Children, according to many reports, aren't very effective spreaders of Covid, in contrast to other respiratory viruses. As yet efficacy and safety testing on children has not been done in detail (it's unethical to carry out clinical trials on people who can't give informed consent). Although teachers have causght Covid, and there have been deaths, international studies have shown, rather surprisingly, that they are not at significantly higher risk than the general population.
But new data is published practically daily and when the facts change one can expect policy to change in reponse.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 January 21 12:11 GMT (UK) »
2 new cases identified yesterday on IoM - one of them a primary-school pupil.

They attended School on Tuesday and Wednesday, and showed no symptoms of the virus, which was then identified in pre-admission screening ahead of a medical procedure.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 January 21 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Children, according to many reports, aren't very effective spreaders of Covid, in contrast to other respiratory viruses.

At what point, in terms of physiology, do children become adults?  Is it c. 13 when puberty is established - i.e. if you can reproduce you are an "adult"?

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 January 21 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Is it not 16 age of consent? Not sure.... in days gone by it was 12 wasn’t it?

I wasn’t advocating children be vaccinated by the way in my previous post.... I just felt teachers should be higher up on the scale...

I do understand too that there are more younger people now in hospital having listened to a variety of medical staff being interviewed.... so it’s not just the elderly who are being affected....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 January 21 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Is it not 16 age of consent? Not sure.... in days gone by it was 12 wasn’t it?

Caroline
Not connected with age of consent. The ethical issue which will determine whether an investigation is permitted is full understanding of the possible outcomes. Ethics committee will not allow research on people who do not have ability to give informed consent. In different circumstances the Gillick case is relevant, as is the ongoing controversy over the Tavistock Clinic.
The unfortunate consequence is that many medicines are not licensed for children.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan