Author Topic: Charles Gilchrist - finding his family, possible link to Fifeshire Cavalry  (Read 1051 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Hello all,
I'm trying to research my partner's ancestry and I've become a little stuck with the transition between Lincolnshire and Scotland (and it's taking me extra time as I'm not familiar with Scottish geography at all).

John Gilchrist was baptized 1st Jan 1805 in Frampton, Lincolnshire, the son of Charles and Ann 'Gilchriste' (John has siblings called Charles, Ann, Robert, Catherine and Elizabeth).

I am looking into Charles Gilchrist's ancestry and life, and I'm struggling a bit. Charles married Catherine Robinson on 16th Aug 1798 in Boston, Lincolnshire (other family trees suggest Catherine is the same person as Ann mentioned above, and that her name is 'Catherine Ann Robinson').
I have not found Charles Gilchrist's death or burial records, although from records from other family trees on Ancestry, it looks like he was part of the Fifeshire Cavalry (I will research this but if anyone knows anything about this cavalry, I'd be very interested to hear your knowledge!).

Gilchrist is a Scottish name, so I presumed there would be Scottish ancestry somewhere up Charles' family line. On Ancestry, some family trees suggest his name is Charles Watson Gilchrist, and that he was the son of John Thomas G Gilchrist and Betty Struthers, although I've found no proof of the 'Watson' middle name for my Charles Gilchrist, not even on the marriage bond.  If these are his parents, then his baptism is: 4 Feb 1770 in Cramond, Midlothian, Scotland.
These same family trees list John Thomas G Gilchrist's probate, which says:

"Gilchrist, John, son of the deceased Thomas G., merchant, and late baillie of Dumfries 17 Dec 1783. "

So the family trees suggest a lineage of:
Charles Watson Gilchrist, son of John Thomas G Gilchrist
and John was the son of Thomas G (a merchant and baillie of Dumfries).

I would really appreciate any help with finding out whether my Charles Gilchrist is 'Charles Watson Gilchrist' as mentioned above, and any more information available about the family.

Many thanks for any help you can offer,
Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Gilchrist - finding his family, possible link to Fifeshire Cavalry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 January 21 23:40 GMT (UK) »
This is the previous thread about the Fifeshire Cavalry
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=583116.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 21 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Charles Gilchrist who married Catherine Robinson was Charles Watson Gilchrist.  I have his baptism details (from Scotlandspeople).

Charles died on 1 March 1829 in Boston, Lincolnshire and was buried on 3 March 1829 at St Botolph's Church, Boston, Lincolnshire.

Charles married Catherine Robinson on 16 August 1798 at St Botolph's Church, Boston, not long after arriving in Boston with the Fifeshire Cavalry. 

Charles appears to have been the first Gilchrist in Boston.  He arrived in spring of 1798 as a member of a troop of the Fifeshire Cavalry and met Catherine Robinson. 

In the summer of 1798 the troop had moved to King's Lynn, before returning to Boston, where Charles and Catherine were married.   After his marriage to Catherine Robinson, he was stationed at various places on the east and south-east coasts of England but she appears to have accompanied him to some of the places as the payroll records show that he received a billeting allowance.  The troop was disbanded in March 1800.  Just prior to the end of Charles' service, their first child was born and baptised in Boston. Nothing else is known about Charles and Catherine except that they lived in the Boston area until their deaths in 1829 and 1822 respectively.  In the Skirbeck Church register and in the announcement of his death, Charles was described as a gardener.

Via PM I've asked you to share your email address with me, as there is so much info I can let you have, far too much to put on here.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 January 21 12:03 GMT (UK) »
As far as I'm aware Catherine Robinson is not called Ann.  Her baptism (found on Findmypast as well as Lincstothepast.com show she was baptised on 26 December 1775 at St Botolph's Church, Boston as Catherine daughter of Robert and Ann Robinson.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 21 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I have Charles Watson's parents as John Gilchrist and Elizabeth Struthers.  Working on the fact that this couple married in 1758 in Cramond, Midlothian, I assumed of the 4 possible baptisms for John Gilchrist around 1739/40 the most obvious is the one born and baptised in Cramond with parents William Gilchrist and Elisabeth Marr.   

Charles and Catherine had 7 children, Charles (1800-1867), Ann (1802-1803), John (1804-1873), Anne (1808-1874), Robert (1810-1810), Catherine (1812-1895) and Elizabeth (1816-1818).  The parish record for John's baptism does show "son of Charles and Ann Gilchrist", so I assume that either Ann was a 2nd name added after her baptism in 1775, or for some reason she was known as Ann.  The baptisms of all their other children show the mother as Catherine.

John (1804-1873) married twice.  His first wife was Sarah Manning, they had 2 children Alice (1825-1909) she's my ancestor and Thomas (1828-1871).  Sadly Sarah died in 1828 and John then married Anne Graves in 1829.  They had 9 children, Charles (1830-1831), Rebecca (1831-1843), George (1833-1880) Mary Ann (born abt 1835), John (1838-1905) your partner's ancestor, Catherine (1841-1916), Joshua (1844-1844), Henry (1846-?) and Frederick (1849-1907)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 January 21 13:09 GMT (UK) »
So Charles Watson Gilchrist's parents were John Gilchrist and Elizabeth Struthers.  John Gilchrist's parents were William Gilchrist and Elisabeth Marr.  They married on 30 May 1735 in Cramond.  Elisabeth Marr was baptised on 30 Jan 1704 in Cramond.  I haven't found William's baptism, there are too many options.  Scotlandspeople lists all the possible but it is £6 sorry 6 credits, to have a look at each one!  So until I can narrow this down I won't bother.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 21 13:27 GMT (UK) »
"Gilchrist, John, son of the deceased Thomas G., merchant, and late baillie of Dumfries 17 Dec 1783. "

So the family trees suggest a lineage of:
Charles Watson Gilchrist, son of John Thomas G Gilchrist
and John was the son of Thomas G (a merchant and baillie of Dumfries).

I've just looked at that will on Scotlandspeople and it is not John Gilchrist, father of Charles.  The John Gilchrist mentioned in the will leaves money to his children John, Thomas and Grizel. 

Although looking at family trees on Ancestry can help, they shouldn't be believed.  You always have to research yourself.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 January 21 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Scotlandspeople lists all the possible but it is £6 to have a look at each one! 
No it's not. It's 6 credits, each of which costs 25p, so to view one record costs £1.50, not £6.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 January 21 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Scotlandspeople lists all the possible but it is £6 to have a look at each one! 
No it's not. It's 6 credits, each of which costs 25p, so to view one record costs £1.50, not £6.

Yes, I've changed my post.  I meant 6 credits.