Author Topic: Diary - Friday, 8 January 2021  (Read 658 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Friday, 8 January 2021
« on: Friday 08 January 21 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I left the house really early this morning to catch my first bus.  When it came there were quite a few people on.  On the way I read the news about the awful brutality which has been taking place in America.  What a threat to democracy!  It beggars belief that this has happened .. really quite shocking! 
It started to snow on the way to Newcastle and on reaching there the ground was covered with a sludgy wet snow.  There was a new rough sleeper in his sleeping bag at the bus station.  He wasn't there the previous night when I was there on my way home.   
My second bus came quite quickly.  When I got off after reaching my destination it took about twice as long to walk to work as the ground was slippy and the  wet snow quite horrible and plodgy to walk through.  It wasn't the sparkling hard snow that is pretty to look at.  It also felt freezing cold and so I tried to walk as quickly as I was able.  Spotted a few joggers and dog walkers en route.
I worked my 12 hour shift and then got the bus back to Newcastle.  When I got there the rough sleeper I saw this morning was in the same spot in his sleeping bag.  Two police men came walking through the bus station and stopped to speak to this man when they saw him.  I don't know what happened after this as I had to catch my bus.  I wonder if this rough sleeper will be there again tomorrow night.  I hope not as it feels like real hyperthermia weather.  The Christmas lights are still up on Northumberland street.  I wonder how long these will be left up.. might this be until lockdown is lifted perhaps. 
I get my second bus bang on time.  I think it is wonderful that the buses are still running so well.  The bus drivers and the bus companies feel like heroes to me these days - I am so grateful that I am still able to get to and from work without any worries.
When I reach my home area, there is no snow  unlike Newcastle.  The ground is wet though and it feels just as cold.    I will have a cup of tea now and then straight to bed as I will be back in again tomorrow.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Friday, 8 January 2021
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 21 00:20 GMT (UK) »
RTL- you are a true hero yourself going to work, catching two buses, doing a twelve hour shift, two buses home and then the same the next day... I really hope they appreciate you where ever you work!
It’s sad to hear of people sleeping rough at any time but in this weather even more concerning... let’s hope the police were able to get him sorted and into somewhere warm...
As you say the scenes in Washington beggar belief... not any kind of democracy to follow!

Today was another cold frosty start with some sunshine...
Excitement today... the alarm company we use were coming to do their annual service... they’re the first people other than family and close friends who’ve stepped over the doorstep since the carpet fitters came the week before first lockdown! I have to say I was a little anxious... I have to empty my side of the wardrobe as the alarm control box is on it ....
messaged son in Brisbane as had heard they’re in lockdown.... he said just for three days so far and one positive case...panic in the supermarkets again!
After breakfast i got up into the loft and we put away all the Christmas decoration boxes and the tree... gave upstairs a vacuum..
I removed all the clothes and shoes from the wardrobe into my room... left the wardrobe doors open and opened the small window wide ( it’s always open anyway whatever the weather ) to ventilate the room... shu all other upstairs doors.
Gave the fridge a clean out and emptied some virtually empty jars of bits and put them in the dishwasher ...ready to give Sue for her marmalade making!
The alarm chap arrived after lunch... he’s the same one who comes every year and he had his face covering on, had sanitised his hands... I went into the lounge and shut the door as he doesn’t need to come in there and OHwent into the dining room to do his jigsaw...
All completed and everything fine... sanitised all door handles etc that he’d touched, alarm keypad got a good sanitise too... left bedroom window open wide and shut the door...
Had a game of scrabble.... OH not happy... I won now I’m one in the lead 😀😀..
Prepared the fish pie for dinner and cooked some plums with cinnamon stick, star anise, stem ginger and I added some mixed fruit that I’d got left from Christmas... it was soaked in brandy... added water and just bring to the boil... lovely on cereal at breakfast... tasted it but couldn’t taste brandy so ok!
Can’t believe the numbers today highest death rate since the start and over 68,000 cases... London hospitals declared state of emergency... truly dire...
worry about my daughter and family but she reassured me they’ve not been out... all shopping via home delivery... boys have got on well with home schooling... eldest done  6 hrs a day just like lessons at school... she’s exhausted and not got much work done herself! Just wish we could help out...
After dinner watched some tv...

Another exciting day... not sure I can cope with too many of them in one week 😂😂...
Stay safe everyone....
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 21 00:43 GMT (UK) »
RTL, I echo Caroline's words, you're amazing doing 12 hour shifts and all the travelling in such freezing weather. It's great that the buses are well organised.
I can't comprehend the mentality of those people in the US, bad enough in normal circumstances but this is about as far from normal as you can get.

Caroline, you and the alarm man obviously took all necessary precautions, what a nightmare having to empty the wardrobe! You've certainly had a good sort out. Your dinner sounds wonderful, just the sort of thing I like.

My day:
Had a bad night's sleep but had to get up and allow time to make myself look presentable for Zoom art class. It was a demo this week so instead of sitting at the kitchen table I was able to slouch on the sofa while I watched it. It was raining heavily outside and was very gloomy, the art teacher lives on the Yorkshire moors, she said it was snowing like mad there. As time went on it turned to sleet here then there was quite a blizzard. It laid lightly on the grass but the road and pavements were thick with slush. I read later that some of the moor roads were closed, much worse over there,

The demo was good, afterwards the teacher went through any homework, I was the only one who had done any, the watercolour I started in class and have been doing bits to since then. The teacher was actually really pleased with it and I got compliments from some of the class. There was some more good news, the teacher will be doing Friday afternoon Zoom classes from next week as well as the morning one. Yessss! (Punches the air!) It suits me much better, I always feel like the whole day has gone after the morning one. And of course I'm not a morning person.

After the class I had a quick sandwich, no walk today, the weather was dreadful all day. I wasn't even tempted to go out. Dug out some very large frames, they still contained a couple of pastel paintings I did years ago, had forgotten all about them. Did some rearranging of current pictures, ordered a very fine ink pen to add to those I have for the next project which is pen and wash. The afternoon seemed to have disappeared, did some chicken for tea, it was ready prepared for cooking, did jacket potato and veg with it.

I'm finding the current situation rather depressing, as I'm sure most people will. I think most of us thought we'd be coming out of the woods by now but it just seems to get worse. Even my friend A has been shaken by recent events, particularly the mutation of the virus. She just got on with things before and was a great help to me, bringing me shopping when I hadn't yet managed to get regular deliveries, but she seems very anxious now. I asked her about what kind of masks she was using, told her about the Which report and sent her the link to read it and to where she could buy them from Boots. She ordered some immediately and even paid extra for next day delivery. That tells me just how worried she is.

Oh for an end to all this, it can't come soon enough.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 January 21 01:32 GMT (UK) »
We are getting a three day taste of what the UK has been going through for months. Total lockdown for three days.

Sprung on us at c 8:30am to commence at 6pm. Major stupidity ensued with people flocking out of town, defeating the whole purpose of the lockdown by potentially spreading the virus far and wide, despite people who have been in the region since 2nd Jan being told they must self isolate and stay home (or wherever they currently are) for three days. I am sure that anyone who left town on Friday between 8:30 am and 6pm has no intention of self isolating in a hotel for three days.

Shops predictably stripped bare despite the fact that we are allowed out for shopping as usual. Unbelievable. I really have my doubts about the human race at times like this.

We are allowed to leave home for the usual essential reasons and always wearing a mask when out of the house - this was not a requirement last lockdown. I suspect it is so there are no grey areas about when and where masks are required.

We had had no community transmissions for over 100 days - until this one person (a cleaner at a covid quarantine hotel) was out about in the community for five days before testing positive. She has the UK variant so therefore major panic due to it being much more transmissible. They had something like 70 close contacts within that time, and went to several shops where I often go (though I haven’t been there for several weeks) and my daughter goes (though wasn’t there at the same time as this person).

Another person with the UK variant travelled from the UK to Melbourne, tested positive in hotel quarantine, was let out after ten days due to no longer showing symptoms, but not re tested, caught flight to Brisbane, travelled to her parents 90k north of Brisbane .... due to her having had the UK variant retesting is happening now just to be sure. They say she is no longer infectious, but in the days to come we shall see. I presume changes will and should now follow to prevent anyone leaving quarantine before they test negative. This used to be done but was stopped. Needs to be reintroduced.

These three days of lockdown are presumably to allow contact tracers to do their thing and discern the extent of any transmission. I haven’t heard any updates, but have my suspicions that we are not being told the full story as yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was extended beyond three days ....

New restrictions eg mandatory mask wearing now introduced Australia wide for all airline travel - and about time. Covid tests also required prior to departure for any international travellers bound for Australia - and about time for that as well. Reduction in numbers of international travellers allowed into NSW - also good. Any workers in hotel quarantine or related to travellers such as transport staff to have covid tests daily rather than weekly. Good.

Most of my Friday was taken up with following the news and marvelling at the sheer stupidity of some people, and also looking after daughter’s dog. Took my dog for a quick walk before the 6pm mask free cut off time.

I feel some binge watching TV series in the next couple of days. Currently watching the seconds series of “Jamestown” - something a bit different, lots of plotting, baddies, violence and romance - something for everyone.  :) The weather has been cooler, around 22 -27, grey with occasional drizzle. A lovely change from our recent humid 35 degree days.  :)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 21 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Haven't posted for a few days because how does one make 'nothing' sound remotely interesting?

Synopsis being - every day freezing (-2) and wrapped up like nanook of the north (whoever they were).   Going nowhere and doing anything to fill up a day - heavens, what a selfish and bitter woman I sound!!!!   Sorry folks - just feel somewhat overwhelmed at times.   My days pale into insignificance compared to RTL and griff and what they go through.  My admiration knows no bounds.

Usual supermarket where niece gets the micro nappies for the twins have run out of stock and she asked if any of the family could look out for them.   I checked with ASDA and they had them so I ordered and they arrived with my delivery yesterday.   Her husband came and collected them from me later in the day.   Some good news - baby Macy came home on the 6th.   Amazing when you think how tiny she is - now 2 Kgs. (4 1/2 lbs) compared to birth weight 3lb.1oz.   Now it's just the matter of getting sister Darcy to the same point.   Breathing on her own now but needs to put on more weight before she too will be allowed home. 

Just had my downstairs neighbour ring my doorbell - wanted to check I was okay and whether I needed anything.  He's so kind. 

I have much to be thankful for.

Stay warm and safe.

Annette 

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 January 21 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Think my husband is a bit disappointed today,  yesterday he  had a letter confirming his 2nd part of vaccination was as scheduled for 14th January,   today an  email, will be delayed, felt a tad sorry to be honest , pity he didn't wait for the single vaccination like I have to

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 21 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Nanook, - “ Nanook of the North”- was an Eskimo woman, a film was made about Eskimos, lovely but not exactly as things were it later  transpired ,
nevertheless ,a very informative film and so interesting .
Made possibly late thirties / early forties.
I too sense an air of despondency, we have tried so hard and stuck to  the rules, but still it escalates.
However ,we will have done some good !.
Nothing much happened today, but some would be glad to say that.
I am starting to be like Norah Batty, she expounded on boring ,saying :-
“ Boring, there’s nowt wrong wi boring ,you know where you are wi boring .
I trained my Wally to be boring ,I’d just got him right when he died ,
all that training wasted!”
Just had a laugh out loud session, “ Open all hours “ so funny.
Must check the washer ,put some good  woolies in ,may have finished the programme so mustn’t leave them in wet for long .

Lots of admiration and respect to you busy bees ,and travellers to work.

No idea what I am doing tomorrow.
It seems odd not going to church ,haven’t been since January , no Ladies’ Group meetings or Saturday coffee mornings or Spring and Christmas Fairs.
Gosh revenue will be down ,many more will have to close ,I don’t suppose the Diocesan Quota will be scrapped this year!
£ 23,000 ours!,plus heating ,lighting etc.
Wonder if Church attendance will rise when this is over.?
Well folks, look after yourselves .
Cheerio for now.
Viktoria.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 January 21 22:28 GMT (UK) »
You are right Viktoria,  the  Quota will certainly be down in every church unless they had huge a  surplus laying around, before Christmas we had a raffle by zoom,  the priest in charge made a cake to action off,  i missed it by £1, just wish I had called the other persons bluff and kept on bidding, as it was the person concerned bought a very expensive cake, but  it all went towards the Quota, I doubt  the Quota  will be cancelled or even reduced

One church locally was used for a rave on NYE causing a huge amount of damage ,  a fund has been set up to clean the church and church yard, they had to  clean it all with social  distancing so it will take longer.

We will get back to our normal but it might take longer

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London