Author Topic: What could cause a housepainter and a chimney sweep to die in a fall in 1895??  (Read 1374 times)

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What could cause a housepainter and a chimney sweep to die in a fall in 1895??
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 January 21 17:13 GMT (UK) »
If there is an entry in the Register of Corrected Entries (RCE), then it should be linked to the original registration when viewed on ScotlandsPeople, and available to view at no additional charge. I say it should be linked, I have two birth registrations for my great grandmother, both with RCEs, one had the RCE linked online, the other I had to e-mail ScotlandsPeople about. They were very prompt about sending me a copy of the missing RCE however, although it still hasn't shown up online almost three years later.

I don't know how it works for death registrations, but for birth registrations if there is some sort of notation in the left-most column, this is usually an indication that there is an RCE.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: What could cause a housepainter and a chimney sweep to die in a fall in 1895??
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 January 21 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Glasgow Royal Infirmary recorded 82 accident cases the week ended 7th August, so perhaps numbers were at a similar level in July, both there and at the Western, and so possibly just a coincidence both dying of falls.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 January 21 18:30 GMT (UK) »
The sweep, Robert Neville, fell from a ladder when going to put out a chimney fire in Piccadilly Street.

Offline LauraJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 January 21 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh thank you so so much!!

Yes my great grandfather was Alexander Kelly.

So him and Robert Neville died in different accidents.

There was corrected entries for both yes.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 January 21 21:34 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :)

Well done,Graham!!!

Maureen