Author Topic: Actual Birth Location of Arthur Sydney Seaborne.  (Read 1616 times)

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Actual Birth Location of Arthur Sydney Seaborne.
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 10 January 21 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Never mind John, I'm sure we've all done that in the past.  The excitement of following the trail  ;D
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 10 January 21 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Possibly Arthur made the news 21.7.1880, Stratford Times & South Essex Gazette for stealing monies, sentenced six weeks hard labour.

John

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Interesting snippet John but I think it may be referring to the Arthur that I posted on Reply#16.  He is Colchester born and living there in 1891.

Or he may be a different chap altogether with a different age.  His occupation is given as a carter in the employ of Mr. H. Digby of Cannock Mill.

Possibly not the Arthur in Reply#16 as his daughter was born in 1874 and he is an engine driver.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Threezzzs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Just a note to say that I have just now come across the 1871 census for Arthur, but under the mis-spelt surname of Seaburn.  In that census, he is (again) a Clerk, born in Ipswich and married to Laura Lavinia.  Their only child, Grace, is cited as aged 0.

All in all, the concensus of advice and findings offered from each of you suggests that the two Arthurs are one and the same, something I should have accepted from the beginning perhaps.  That in mind, and in the knowledge that I have not been able to find an Islington Seaborn/Seaborne family capable of supporting my Arthur's claims, I'm going to bite the bullet and commit him to my tree as being born in Ipswich (along with Laura Lavinia and all of the poor children who suffered after her premature demise). 

I'm sure you've each helped others in the past and are used to this sort of exchange.  But I would like to reinforce my sincere thanks again for the amount of effort on your respective parts and the willingness in which it was offered.  I wish you well with your own research.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Glad we could all be of some help.

You were quite right to question the birth place and not just accept it as fact.

Any other queries you may have in the future please do post again  :)

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 10 January 21 18:14 GMT (UK) »
It's been an interesting post. One final snippet, there is an obituary for Laura Lavinia in newspaper 1885.

John

Offline Threezzzs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 07:35 GMT (UK) »
To all who were kind enough to help with my recent research regarding my Great-Grand-Father, Arthur Sydney Seaborne.

Just to add a little closure to the story, and in the hope that it might serve to help others who link to this Seaborne line in the future, my sister has come up trumps.  She has discovered military records for Arthur Seaborn, born Ipswich, which states 'an apparent age of' 27 years and 7 months.  This is clearly the Arthur who married Laura Lavinia Elliston and, therefore, the same man who abandoned his children to the work-house following her early demise.  However, he hadn't died or disappeared as we surmised, he had joined the army!

My initial excitement faded slightly when I read that he was not discharged from the army until 1897, i.e. two years after he married my G-Gran, Alice Clara Prentice, and a year after the birth of their first son, Hadleigh Sydney Seaborne.  However, closer scrutiny revealed that on the 12th February 1889, Arthur had been transferred to the Reserves, apparently at his own request. 

Another small, but intriguing snippet was that although the records show that he had enlisted into the Medical Staff Corps (Aldershot, 17th March 1886), the only qualification achieved was that 'he was qualified to act as Cook in a military hospital' (3rd Feb 1888).  Bearing mind that on the 1911 census, 'our' Arthur is cited as being the Manager of a Soup Kitchen in the Salvation Army, we are now more convinced than ever that the 'two Arthurs' have to be one and the same.

Again, sincere thanks to all.

Frank J.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Frank, thank's for letting us all know your thoughts and outcome. Pleased we all could help.

John