Author Topic: John Connolly  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Candybar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Connolly
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 January 21 01:50 GMT (UK) »

What is it your looking for we have marriage certificates,death certificates and children’s certificates,

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 January 21 01:57 GMT (UK) »
There doesn't appear to be a marriage listed in the statutory records of 1855 for any female Leonard (with that spelling) in any of the Glasgow city districts, so I would be very interested to know where you found a marriage certificate?
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 January 21 01:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm not looking for anything, just hoping you have both marriage entries to gather all info. to be had, if the one I thought might be? the statutory record...

If you have it, you only need to say.

Lodger...Please read my replies above... I wondered if the statutory one I posted could be it with wrong spelling but without seeing it I can't tell.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 January 21 02:03 GMT (UK) »

Lodger...Please read my replies above... I wondered if the statutory one I posted could be it with wrong spelling but without seeing it I can't tell.

Annie

where do you see the entry in the statutory index for this 1855 marriage Annie? I have looked but cannot see any Connelly/Leonard entry for 1855.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline Candybar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 January 21 02:15 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage between Ann Leonard and John Connolly Sept 18/1855 at St.Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church, Glasgow Lanarkshire.

Attending priest Father Danaher

We got this from find my past.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 January 21 02:58 GMT (UK) »
where do you see the entry in the statutory index for this 1855 marriage Annie? I have looked but cannot see any Connelly/Leonard entry for 1855.

3rd time...in the absence of a statutory entry, having not been found...I wondered if it could be this, with an error in the spelling of the surname Leonard...

CONLY JOHN - LYNCH ANNE 1855 - 648/1 45 Lanark Burgh

There will be enough info. to know whether it's correct or not?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Candybar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 10 January 21 03:07 GMT (UK) »

No we have all the children’s birth certificates and death certificates and census and they are all Leonard, sorry if that’s not giving you what you want.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 10 January 21 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage between Ann Leonard and John Connolly Sept 18/1855 at St.Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church, Glasgow Lanarkshire.
Attending priest Father Danaher
We got this from find my past.
That is not a marriage certificate. That is an extract from the marriage registers of the Roman Catholic Church.

As Lodger has said, there doesn't seem to be a statutory civil marriage certificate, so it would appear that the marriage was never properly registered as the law required from 1 January 1855. I have come across this before, where a post-1855 marriage is in the RC registers but not in the statutory registers. It doesn't mean that they were not lawfully married, just that they failed to comply with the legal requirement to register the marriage.

That's unfortunate because, as Rosinish says, 1855 marriage certificates contain a lot of information that was not collected in any other year.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 10 January 21 10:55 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you Forfarian, the voice of reason at last!

This 1855 entry in the Catholic parish register for St Joseph's Woodside is only a scrawled two-line entry with the couple's names and those of the witnesses.
There should have been a much fuller corresponding entry in the Statutory marriages for 1855 but, as Forfarian has already explained, it isn't there.
As for the entry in the Lanark burgh returns, it is obviously a different couple as the entry number is too low (No.45) to correspond with a marriage in late September.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.