Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 9th January  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 9th January
« on: Saturday 09 January 21 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Been feeling pretty fed up today. Was reading in bed until late last night despite feeling tired. When I woke this morning I felt like I'd been unconscious, really had to drag myself out of it.
A lovely sunny day but bitterly cold, there had been a hard frost and it hung around all day. Unusually for me I didn't feel like going for a walk, I was bothered about the icy pavements and also felt lethargic. When I went out to get something from the garage the cold air nearly cut me in two. That definitely decided me, when I had been for a walk the other day when it was freezing cold I was breathless for a while when I got home, it's not very good for me so I decided to stay where it was warm.

Had a sandwich for lunch, emptied the dishwasher then put the bedding that I wanted to dye in the washing machine with the dye, also the cushion covers. I've been putting it off for ages.
My printer is a three in one but I've never set it up to scan so I decided to have a go. Found some info on the Internet and soon had it done. Not really sure why I bothered, have had it all these years and never used that function. Satisfying to sort it out though.
Printed my reference photo for the next art project, it's a photo I took in Valencia a few years ago. Also printed a photo to use for the homework, subject is sunlight through the trees. I'm using one of the numerous photos I've taken in the woods on my walks. Sketched out the homework, that's as far as I got.

I feel quite ashamed of myself for feeling miserable today when others have so much more to deal with, have been thinking of RTL and her long shifts and bus journeys in this icy weather. I hope she's okay. Will have to give my head a shake tomorrow.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 9th January
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 21 23:57 GMT (UK) »
But you keep very busy Roobarb, and it is not just you, the latest news  and shocking statistics have knocked everyone for six,so your mood etc seems an entirely normal reaction.
Try not to worry as it won’t help as other than what we conscientious ones have done all along ,obey the rules/ guidlines there is nothing more we can do.We have played our part.
Spring will come, lots of bulbs peeping up , and for some strange reason  the  weeks fly by, so I must make the most of bad weather for indoor work so I can be in the garden as much as possible with a clear conscience when the weather improves.
Your idea of a diary is so important to many , contact  and  friendship and off loading of anxiety , really therapeutic .
Hope you feel better soon , we can’t do more than we are doing so at least we have clear consciences , more than can be said,sadly iof many .
I am not smug ,not the time for anything like that, but I truly can’t do more .and nor can you or  other RootsChatters.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 21 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Well said Viktoria- it’s hard on everyone at the moment... who would have thought that we’d be back to square one and worse....
The  weather doesn’t help much but as you say spring is coming and the days are getting longer with darkness receding...
I too can’t believe how the weeks seem to be flying by when there’s not much going on it seems incredible this is so...
Roobarb - you have been stoic in your determination to stick with it and I know it’s not easy... you’ve found so much to do even in less brighter times...
It is very frustrating when you hear of people driving from places like Leicester into Wales to go walking... or those in London who are protesting about the lockdown... you just want to bang their heads together to get them to see sense and reasons as to why we’re all doing this!
The numbers are truly depressing at the moment and don’t look like getting better for a while.... the result of Christmas I fear..
But keep your resolve and as you say there are always people like RTL, PharmaT, griff who have difficult lives ....we are at least all still here and RC is a great place to find friends who understand...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 21 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Today’s diary...

This morning was Misty, cold and dank.... in fact it remained the same all day with the temperature not going above 1C...
I was up later than usual busy reading Queen Camilla by Sue Townsend the book choice for our book group.... not one I’d normally read... cant decide whether it’s funny, a load of drivel but compelling to read.....
After breakfast sorted out more of the shopping that’s isolating in the garage... no need to put it in the fridge as it’s that cold sitting on the bench anyway!
Late lunch...
Ventured outside but definitely too cold to walk anywhere... as the bottom of the village is not safe at the moment (dogs!) and only other circular walk is six miles unless we go over the fields .... hopefully tomorrow will be better..
Did some more reading...
Played scrabble lost so back to all square...
Dinner was cooked by OH lovely piece of steak with usual vegs...
Watched tv...not sure what but still
Depressing to hear numbers are still very high and appears it’ll get worse before it gets better...
Came to bed to read...
We all need to keep positive... not easy I know... testing times everywhere... just thankful I don’t live in the US as they seem to be in great turmoil...
Tomorrow will be a better day...
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 21 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your kind and comforting words,  I don't know why things have got me down so much today, I just kept thinking about how much time I've spent alone in the past year but I suppose if I can put up with it for the biggest part of ten months I can carry on a bit longer. I know that Viktoria has spent all of that time alone too, I very much appreciate the friends I have made on Rootschat, you've kept me going.

Viktoria, I can't take the credit for thinking of the diary thread, it was Trystan, but I'm very grateful that he set it up.

Caroline, a quiet day for you, what a shame that your walks are currently dictated by the dog owners. Sounds like your weather was much the same as here, the forecast is a bit milder tomorrow, let's hope it's right.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 21 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Oh ,sorry Trystan, it seems such a long time ago but many thanks ,it is something to look forward to .
I go off topic I know but if it makes someone smile——
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 21 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for these kind words in recent posts.  My life doesn't really feel difficult, it just feels like 'normal'.  Although, I do regularly feel like no, I do not want to go .. I'm too tired/too cold/it's too early, etc.  However, once I get out the front door I gradually pick up more motivation for the day's work ahead.  I do feel very lucky though that as a keyworker I still have a job and retain a bit of the 'old normal' through this and know where I stand with a regular income.  I really feel for those who have lost their jobs or whose jobs have been put on hold and whose incomes have been slashed.  Plus I enjoy my bus journeys, these feel like a small treat to be able to legally 'gad about' albeit just on the route to and from work.  I don't have the worry either that I felt at the start of the first lockdown about the bus services either.  The services are running well which is giving me much peace of mind.  Bravo to the bus companies and the bus drivers!  :D So I have much to be thankful for. 
I greatly admire all of you who have kept busy and motivated at home throughout all this time.  The accounts of walks and daily creativity etc are inspiring in showing that life still goes on no matter what happens.  I am grateful for the diary thread too.  Although we might all have very different lives and circumstances we are  there for each other with support and laughter .. even book recommendations and food ideas.  What a versatile thread!  ;)
Don't feel ashamed Roobarb, of course you will have not so good days when you might feel more lethargic.  I think this will be quite normal under the current circumstances.  However, I am full of admiration at how busy you have kept  throughout and how you just keep going.  I think you are invincible really and you are an inspiration. I think it is good that you and Caroline have led this diary thread mainly even when some of us have flagged.  It is always great to read your posts and you always have a kind word for everyone. So keep up this good work.
Your plum recipe had me almost drooling the other day, Caroline, it sounded so good.   Shame I have no brandy in the house.  As a coincidence, I made a plum and ginger crumble the other day .. just basic but it was such nice comfort food and I think I will make it again.  Anyway, I have digressed so much .. here is my diary for Saturday:

A bit frosty but no snow on the ground as I set off to work.  However, snow still about in Newcastle, although not bad near the bus station as grit has been put down.  There was no sign of the new rough sleeper  I had seen the day before at the bus station.
A young bus driver made me laugh on my second bus.  I had absent mindedly announced the stop I was going to on the second bus as I was about to board.  No need really as I have a travel pass which covers the area.  The driver said very  theatrically "Well, I don't usually go there .. but for you Madam, I will make an exception!  Just don't tell anyone!".  Of course, there was no 'exception', his bus does go via my stop but I did like his sense of humour.
 After work, I found that the pavements were really bad with thick ice as I made my way to the bus stop.  The ice was uneven too as the imprint of people's footsteps had hardened in.  I was slip sliding about all over the place trying not to fall over and not getting anywhere fast.  I didn't want to miss my first bus home so I decided to walk on the road instead.  It was alright as there were no cars about and I thought I could quickly step back on the pavement if I did hear a car coming.
When I got to the bus station, I looked for the new rough sleeper.  Hurrah!  He wasn't there!  Perhaps the police were able to persuade him to go to some safe and warm place last night.  I hope so.  I know some people might give up on themselves for a variety of reasons but I don't think society should. 
The bus station was very quiet and quite deserted.  Although, two other women appeared at my stop before my second bus came.
I felt too tired to post last night.  Too tired to do anything apart from look out of the window and enjoy the journey.  Quick cup of tea when I got in then straight to bed.  Fell asleep straightaway.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 21 09:49 GMT (UK) »
It seems that global uncertainty does have an effect on my personal mood, and though I have been advised not to watch the news, I do feel I am being somewhat irresponsible to ignore it all, despite there nothing I can do to change matters.
However, I do agree with Viktoria's wise words. Each of us must do what we can to improve the quality of our daily life whatever that is, and having empathy for people with worse difficulties than our own, doesn't mean we aren't allowed to be fed up some of the time.

Yesterday H and I managed to get some quality interaction with his older son and fiance. The visas are valid despite the wedding was postponed, and they have paid for private covid testing which has proved negative, so they are holding everything crossed that they are able to fly from Heathrow next week to take up the new job in Australia.  Emigration has been delayed for months already, but nothing is certain until the flight leaves..... perhaps not even then!
My own life seems to have taken a strange turn lately; I'm astonished I sat through two films on TV yesterday evening, though in normal times I rarely 2 films per year.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 January 21 09:58 GMT (UK) »
RTL, you are fabulous, though I fully understand how you feel about job, (and bus,) certainty.
The plum crumble sounds good and it made me think perhaps you could leave rice pudding in the slow cooker for when you have to be up way too early, or stumble in exhausted at night? :-*
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.